Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Problematic Eating: Need advice

11-22-2015, 08:54 AM   #1
Charlotte.

My Support Groups:
Problematic Eating: Need advice

Okay guys, I never thought that this would ever happen to me:

I'm always adjusting my diet, looking for food that leads to fewer symptoms but I always tried not to put a too big focus on eating, in order to keep a healthy relationship to food.
As my symptoms get worse and worse over time I can't say eating is fun for me any more, especially now, that my eating is very controlled. I don't eat the foods that I expect to put me into a flare up, like whole nuts, very sugary foods, dairy products, lactose, eggs etc. and I don't eat even a tiny bit of it, so none of these at all (I can't stop after just 2 or 3 nuts and wait a couple of days to see whether or not it sets me into a flare up, so I had nuts, too many, and was in a really flare up again that required steroids). Therefore eating is very restrictive for me now, in order to keep symptoms low. Now, that I had (fortunately decreasing since being put on omeprazole instead of pantoprazole) really severe stomach pain, I can't tolerate the pressure-like pain when I eat a normal portion sized meal, so I purged (self induced vomiting, someone in a local support group does that sometimes when he feels he has eaten too much and his Crohn's could get worse) to get relief of that feeling. Another time I tried some marzipan (I did not have foods with nut content for months now) and I was so afraid of bad reactions of my Crohn's that I purged again.
Now, one day later, I still feel so guilty of what I did to my body (purging) and I am shocked about what I did, my hands are literally shaking while typing.
Important notice: I moved abroad to the UK and am really struggling with the health system here and could not find doctors who understand me or give me the treatment I was used to, especially iv steroids for occurring flare ups and I reject pred tablets, so there actually is no flare treatment for me here, apart from my long term treatment.

Stelara; Uceris; Lansoprazole; Domperidone.

Previously: Remicade, Humira, Simponi, Azathioprine, Methotrexate, Sulfasalazine, Entocort, Uceris, Prednisolone, TPN, EEN, different alternative treatments.

Last edited by Charlotte.; 11-22-2015 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Title not so precise.
11-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
Charlotte.

My Support Groups:
Any similar experience at some point anyone?
11-22-2015, 12:58 PM   #3
Justanothercp

My Support Groups:
I also have made myself sick after eating too much. If I eat too much and start getting scared of stricture, I will purge. Not often, maybe 2-3 x/year. But for me it is a matter of the lesser of 2 evils. I get obstructed pretty easily, so if a few times a year I eat too much and then purge, I am not going to beat myself up over it.
The other thing that sounds crazy, but I swear helps, If I get a partial obstruction, I use an inversion table and it helps to unblock and move things thru, I'm guessing it works kind of like an NG tube, just removes the pressure.?
11-22-2015, 01:08 PM   #4
Maya142
Forum Monitor

Sending hugs! Have you considered seeing a psychologist who has experience with people who have chronic illnesses?
Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis at 16

Mom of S (23)
dx with JIA at 14
Ankylosing Spondylitis at 18
11-22-2015, 05:38 PM   #5
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I agree with Maya142.
11-23-2015, 02:12 AM   #6
Charlotte.

My Support Groups:
Thank you, Justanothercp!
Thank you Maya and Ron, I did but the waiting time in this country via NHS is more than a year (with no option to speed up by referral) and I don't have private insurance that covers psychotherapy. There is also no self help/support group in my area, so a surprisingly bad infrastructure concerning that.
I texted with someone I don't know in person, she has Crohn's and eating disorders and the eating disorders have been triggered by Crohn's itself (feeling sick after meals) and treatment (weight gain through prednisone), it does not seem to happen often but that can happen and I definitely don't want to have an eating disorder in addition to my diseases I don't have any influence on.
I also read that excessive fasting is already a symptom of bulimia so I wonder if intermittent fasting (in order to help Crohn's symptoms, as some in this forum recommend and practice it themselves) can already be bulimia. At least it seems as if there is a small line.

Does anyone have any self help tipps or book recommendations?
11-25-2015, 07:41 AM   #7
Charlotte.

My Support Groups:
To give you an update:

It's definitely no eating disorder that I have but of course, not the best relationship towards food over such a long time having symptoms and a long lasting flare-up, so nothing to worry about, I was told. I had a long talk to the nurse and the dietician and a good option to cope with my current symptoms until the immunosuppressant finally is effective enough would be going the elemental path, so I'm trying elemental now. I was on a liquid diet already (that time it was polymeric diet), so hopefully everything works as it should.
11-25-2015, 08:10 AM   #8
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Best to you

11-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #9
Charlotte.

My Support Groups:
Thank you, Ron!
11-25-2015, 08:26 AM   #10
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Welcome.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Problematic Eating: Need advice