Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Can a small bowel resection can cause chronic inflammation?

01-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #31
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
No offense but you could be having internal damage to your body that you don't realize.

Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
01-18-2016, 02:01 PM   #32
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Fair play to you..if you can cope without meds thats great. Iv not been on meds as such for my crohns since surgery n would like not to been on them if not totaly needed. Best wishes . Be sure your checked for any inflamation tho regulary.💕
01-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #33
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Fair play to you..if you can cope without meds thats great. Iv not been on meds as such for my crohns since surgery n would like not to been on them if not totaly needed. Best wishes . Be sure your checked for any inflamation tho regulary.💕
Agree

01-18-2016, 02:35 PM   #34
David
Co-Founder

My goal is to avoid medication for as long as possible, diagnosed in 1990 with mild symptoms until recently. Have SBO with scar tissue, surgery in February. I may be naive but I feel that letting my own body do as much of the healing as it can is important. I don't eat anything processed, only locally grown and sourced foods. I feel like a hypocrite feeding my body medications with strong chemicals that appear to cause many adverse side affects-some worse than the original disease. I feel so fortunate to be relatively healthy-2 surgeries and a couple blockages. I certainly don't judge those who need medications to feel better-just my own personal opinion at this stage of my journey with Crohn's.
This is what people don't understand though. Because you chose not to control the inflammation, over time this lead bacterial overgrowth, scarring, blockages (which are life threatening situations people die from) and finally, resection. You're now removing parts of your intestines and will have more and more trouble absorbing nutrients and the host of problems that can come from that. You are also going to be at much greater risk of fistulizing disease because of all the scarring and stenosis which is a nightmare on its own.

Uncontrolled Crohn's disease is a bad dream that will often turn into a nightmare of unfathomable proportions.

Make no mistake, I HATE most medications. But I hate the possibilities that come with uncontrolled Crohn's disease much more.
02-09-2016, 05:54 AM   #35
ImDan

This is what people don't understand though. Because you chose not to control the inflammation, over time this lead bacterial overgrowth, scarring, blockages (which are life threatening situations people die from) and finally, resection. You're now removing parts of your intestines and will have more and more trouble absorbing nutrients and the host of problems that can come from that. You are also going to be at much greater risk of fistulizing disease because of all the scarring and stenosis which is a nightmare on its own.

Uncontrolled Crohn's disease is a bad dream that will often turn into a nightmare of unfathomable proportions.

Make no mistake, I HATE most medications. But I hate the possibilities that come with uncontrolled Crohn's disease much more.

I definitely agree to this. Hopefully the UK medical system will realize this soon as they are only doing reactive treatments.

I have been told that Azathioprine is my only option here. Out of interest what other options do you guys think would be made available to me in the US (besides biologics)? I wouldn't even mind paying for medication myself - I just want the best treatment possible rather than cheapest.

The Azathioprine seems super high maintainance. They said a 3-5 year treatment plan and it requires a weekly blood test for the whole time to monitor bone marrow, liver, pancreatitis, lymphoma and melanoma cancers. Scary stuff..
04-29-2016, 10:16 AM   #36
ImDan

Just an update on this:

So I've just had another MRI Enterography scan and Colonoscopy.

Strangely all the inflammation seen in the scans and colonoscopy done 1 year ago, was gone! The only medication i've taken is 3 months of Budesonide from October to December.

I was told that they cannot see any active inflammation and only 1 of 6 biopsys showed granulation. They said either I do not have Crohns and it's just from the original sports injury, or it is Crohns and in 'deep remission'. So I've to come back in 4 months for a stool sample.

I still don't have any symptoms other than some nightsweats. I was kind of hoping to have a definitive answer after these tests, but I guess I can be happy at the possibility of not having Crohns and not taking any medication.

Have any of you had these kind of results? This was done at a private hospital with one of the top GIs in my country.
04-29-2016, 10:27 AM   #37
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I hope you don't have Crohn's.

05-07-2016, 11:09 PM   #38
Scared1

Hi - my husband is very similar, I would say wait maybw you dont have it, and night sweats can come from a lot ofnother reasons, but I am not a GI to determine. Can I ask you a question - you said they saw 1 granuloma, what do you mean? They saw only a few on the biopsies? Can you tell me of where? Like colon or ilieum? Thanks!
05-09-2016, 08:04 AM   #39
ImDan

Hi - my husband is very similar, I would say wait maybw you dont have it, and night sweats can come from a lot ofnother reasons, but I am not a GI to determine. Can I ask you a question - you said they saw 1 granuloma, what do you mean? They saw only a few on the biopsies? Can you tell me of where? Like colon or ilieum? Thanks!
Hey there, thanks for the reply.

I'll include below the MRI and Colonoscopy Biopsy below if you'd like to take a look. Any feedback appreciated!

MRI
Previous imaging reviewed, comprising two CT examinations from 2015. The current appearances show significant improvement with almost complete resolution of the significant mural thickening seen previously relating to the ileocecal valve, caecum and cecal appendix. Minimal anatomical distortion relating to the previous distal ileal resection. local ileocecal lymph node enlargement in the right iliac fossa seen previously has also resolved.
FINDINGS:
The caecal pole is contracted in all these sequences. Although the appendix is not dilated there is some enhancement of the caecal pole and appendix following intravenous contrast.
No abnormality of the small bowel.
The spleen is bulky at 15 cm.
No abnormality of the other abdominal organs. Prominent bilateral inguinal lymph nodes which are not significantly enlarged. No retroperitoneal lymph node enlargement.
CONCLUSION/ RECOMMENDATION:
The caecal pole and appendix are the only areas showing possible inflammatory change. Mild splenomegaly.

Colonoscopy
Colonoscopy Report: https://gyazo.com/8c027d0a5b2011ec287c25f619f88134
Biopsy Report: https://gyazo.com/324e3459c31d70716a65c1ed764ad351
05-12-2016, 09:04 AM   #40
scl

I've had Crohn's for over 30 years (yikes, almost 40) and these are the medications I have taken:
2 doses of Prednisone
2 or 3 doses of Remicade

That's it. Ever.

If I don't have symptoms and my blood and colonoscopies are clean, my docs think I am managing it just fine on my own. I eat a vegan diet which relieved the only symptom I had which was diarrhea.

Like ccsysto, I avoid all medication but certainly understand that for others, it's critically important in controlling their disease.
Currently on: No medication
Supplements: probiotic, bone health supplement, Vitamin K2, Vitamin D
05-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #41
ImDan

I've had Crohn's for over 30 years (yikes, almost 40) and these are the medications I have taken:
2 doses of Prednisone
2 or 3 doses of Remicade

That's it. Ever.

If I don't have symptoms and my blood and colonoscopies are clean, my docs think I am managing it just fine on my own. I eat a vegan diet which relieved the only symptom I had which was diarrhea.

Like ccsysto, I avoid all medication but certainly understand that for others, it's critically important in controlling their disease.
I admire you controlling the disease through your diet.
Unfortunately I don't get any symptoms so it's hard for me to know what foods to avoid that may be causing me inflammation.

I've stopped eating dairy and cut down alot on meat in my diet generally.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Can a small bowel resection can cause chronic inflammation?