Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Remicade/ prednisone how to tell what is working?

12-04-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
niki27

My Support Groups:
Remicade/ prednisone how to tell what is working?

Hi guys I just started remicade 4 days ago and I'm not sure how to tell if it's working or not while I'm on prednisone... I would love to hear about people's experience on it and if anyone went through something similar and started remicade while on prednisone and how to know the difference...

so some background story...
I've had a pretty bad flare for the past 4 months or so... I started prednisone along side some antibiotics to take care of an abscess. I was feeling much better and pain was finally completely gone. My CRP went down to 4! I stopped the antibiotics and as soon as I started to taper down the prednisone symptoms started to come back ,CRP jumped back up to 43 and I developed a mass in my lower abdomen that is just rock hard. My DR said it's the inflation coming back.. my Dr put me on remicade, It took over a week to get me in for my first infusion so I went back up to 30mg of prednisone to keep things under control and not let it get worse. My symptoms almost completely stopped with the higher does of prednisone and the mass started to get softer and smaller in size (but still very much there) after the remicade infusion I was very tired for about 2 days but did't really feel anything different other then that. My Dr said to start tampering down prednisone once my symptoms are better but they are only better when I'm on the higher does.. I'm not really sure if the remi is working yet and I'm afraid to go down from the prednisone and for my symptoms/inflammation to come back. So my question is, has anyone started remicade with a higher does of prednisone and could tell if the remicade was working?
Any help/ advice would be much appreciated!
Thank you for taking the time to read my post!
thanks, Niki
12-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #2
Brewtowncronie51

My Support Groups:
I have not take a mixture of Pregnant zone and Remicade. But I've just had my first infusion this past Friday. I just wanted to wish you the best and Hope Which way whichever way the doctor goes it works for you.
Crohn's disease - Oct 2015
Multiple large Fibroids- Oct 2015
Remicade - Nov 2015
Overweight - All my life

Have I not commanded you to Strong and courageous Joshua 1:9
12-04-2015, 09:09 PM   #3
Robrich

My Support Groups:
Hi Niki
That's how it works.
I was pred dependent for years and only after Remicade was I able to get off the pred.
I never believed I could do that but the Remicade did such a good job healing my gut getting off the pred was a breeze.
However it was a long slow process of tapering over several years. But I had been on pred for 2decades.
Docs always try to taper too quickly. If symptoms return go back up on the pred after 2-3 days or right away if it is severe. Just tell your doc you have to. Fighting it doesn't work. Take it slow. The longer you've been on it the longer it takes. Getting below 20 is your first goal. Then 10 then 7then 5., 4, 3,2 gone.
Bottom line if symptoms keep returning to pre Remicade then it's the remi that's not working and that's about the only way to know
Good luck
BTW after 10 good years n remi alone, it stopped working and I'm back on pred. 10 mg.
Sucks!
probiotics
d3, calcium, k2' magnesium, resveratrol,
Turmeric,paleo, bone broths
Past: humira no response after 6 mos., remicade amazing for 10 years then stopped working.
Entocort
6mp, Imuran never helped nasty side effects liver problems, caught pneumonia
Asacol, rowasa no response
Flagyl worked well but got PN cipro same.
12-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #4
Brewtowncronie51

My Support Groups:
Robrich, Do take Turmeric pills or with food? How as it help you? I just got some from the Spice Store. I normally have it on my eggs but I got some capsules that think I might start putting in but, I don't know how much. Thanks
12-05-2015, 02:09 AM   #5
Robrich

My Support Groups:
I take so many things it's hard to tell. But I believe so.
Not a miracle cure or anything like that but I believe if you take enough things that help a little with little downside it adds up.
I take 2 capsules in the morning and use the spice a lot in cooking, good in Soups, I use the whole root for that.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Remicade/ prednisone how to tell what is working?