Share Facebook

10-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
Kuwabara

Alcohol

Alright guys,

Just wondering what people's experiences with alcohol are with their disease?
I haven't drank since being diagnosed and I'm 6 weeks into my 12 week course of drugs. Currently on 17.5mg of Presidolone, 8 Pentasa and One Lansaprazole a day.

I seriously don't intend to drink anytime soon(although I'm tempted) from what little I've read it doesn't seem worth the risk. But I must say I am tempted - especially when out with females!

The Best Thing of 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRPEG7tsmi8

"To be a human being among human beings, and remain one forever, no matter what misfortunes befall, not to become depressed, and not to falter--this is what life is, herein lies its task"-Fyodor Doestevsky
10-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
jooles6377

I used to be able to drink sometime, now I have a terrible reaction and have D for weeks afterwards so unfortunately I cant drink alcohol at all any more much to my dissapointment.

Azathioprine, Pentasa, Colofac and co-codomol
10-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
bella_sky

My Support Groups:
Beer and liquor definitely cause a lot of pain and diarrhea for me anyway. Just one or two glasses of wine are my choice for the least amount of bad effects afterwards. After everything we go through, even just one glass of wine to pat ourselves on the back feels soooo gooood Wine makes me so giggly lol
27 F - Dx with Crohns in 7/2009. Currently on Humira, Imuran and Prednisone. Remicade caused drug-induced lupus. Dx 11/2009: Hemangiopericytoma tumor in/around spine. Dx 2010: Crohns Arthritis, Avascular Necrosis in both hips, bursitis in both hips, neuromas in back & foot. Currently being tested for Endometriosis.

I'm engaged to the most incredibly supportive man of my dreams

Listen to your instincts. Stand your ground.

God bless.
10-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
NatalieMT

Yes I did dare properly drink end of January whilst on pred and the elemental diet, it was a really awful decision to do so I my part. I think I had about 6 relatively strong cocktails. The pain and awful D lasted for days afterwards, I wouldn't do it quite like that again, looking back I made a very poor judgement.

Since then I have always been very careful, I'll stick to just one drink but even then it's come straight back up again on every occasion, again not good but I have usually felt immediately better after vomiting. Most of the time now, if I feel pressure to drink whilst out I'll just get a lemonade or tonic water and say it has vodka/gin in it. No one would know the difference and it saves answering questions, most of my good friends accept my condition and the fact it has certain limitations though.
10-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
beth

My Support Groups:
The only alcohol I can drink is malt whisky... well that's my claim and I'm sticking to it! Beer does horrible things to me and wine isn't much better. I could always pass on white, but I used to love a really rich new world red - like Aus, SA or Chile. But just stick to a wee dram of the good stuff occasionally.
10-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
Kuwabara

Cheers for the advice guys. I'm not sure I want to risk the alcohol - I don't want to show myself up in front of people I'm trying to impress!x
10-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
Wiles

When I was sick I could drink in moderation without a problem, a lot of foods bugged me, but alcohol didn't bother me so much. Not that I drank often though. If I drank to excess however, then it did bother me. I remember one Christmas in particular where I was sick and my symptoms were worse for a few weeks afterwards because I had a little too much fireball...

I'd be wary about drinking with certain medications though, I'm not sure of the interactions with the ones you are on but it is always good to talk to a pharmacist or a doctor about it.
10-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #8
CanadianBella

I can drink beer, white wine,vodka and jager fine. Everything else bothers me. Although I havent tried Gin since being diagnosed. I ususally dont drink much more then 1 drink. A few occasions Ive had a few more and it was fine. As long as I dont mix.
10-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
robbo87

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
when i was out of remission and doing ok on the pentasa i was drinking some weekends and didnt really suffer to badly.. the day afterwards would be a long day hangover with a few trips to the loo but it would all clear up after that. but at the moment im having a few problems since tapering off pred so i darent even try and drink, although next friday im going on a a 5 day trip to krakow with some mates... and alcohol will no doubt be involved. and i must say im getting a bit scared of what could happen! i dont want to cancel the trip because ive done this to many times and not been away since i got diagnosed...but i dont want to go away and feel like im spoiling it for my mates by not feeling well or wanting to do stuff half the time.
10-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
Kev

My Support Groups:
Since being diagnosed, I had a few beers on one birthday to sort of celebrate, on the next... being in rough shape, I passed.. then the following year another few.

Other than that, I try to steer clear of alcohol... not due to immediate effects, but from the knowledge that alcohol consumption helps to weaken and destroy the mucous that protects the GI tract... Seems it is best to limit drinking to an occasional thing... or rule it out entirely (or based on specific products) if one notices a decline in their situation when they drink. Like, everyone and every case of this disease is different... I can't take lactose without it bothering me big time right away.. but I've never had any immediate issues from the odd drink. Other folks can drink stuff that has no active yeast left in it, but if they try something 'yeasty' like an export ale, they get into serious trouble fast. I see it as a risky proposition (in the long term scheme of things) that just isn't worth taking the chance for me except on the rare occasion when I give into temptation.

Dx'd July, 2006
Meds: Flagyl, Cipro, Pred, AZA.. to no effect
Low Dose Naltrexone Nov 2007 - May 2014
Remicade June 17th, 2014
10-23-2009, 08:46 PM   #11
braveheart
Passionate Dreamer

I can't drink beer wihout having a strong diarrea the following day.

Red wine is ok. Any top class Malbec.
I also tolerate aged Rum.
10-23-2009, 08:54 PM   #12
Terrah

Alcohol and me don't mix very well. I love a nice cold beer but I pay for it with bad cramping and tonnes of diarrea. I will have a glass of white wine every now and then and it sits well. But more then one glass causes me lots of trouble.
10-25-2009, 03:21 AM   #13
teeny5

My Support Groups:
I have the worst time with beer. It makes me too gassy. Otherwise I seem fine. I might be a light weight, but I am fine!

Previous meds: Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Entocort.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson"
10-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #14
Kuwabara

I had three Coronoas on Friday night my first drink in around 2 months and was fine. I made sure to stay hydrated and had something to eat beforehand too. Phew!
10-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #15
teeny5

My Support Groups:
I would maybe test a drink when you are close to a restroom and see how it goes. Only drink in moderation at first. In other words don't go on a binge drinking session if you don't know how your body will take it. I have ready many things where people can drink only certain kinds of alcohol and others can't drink at all so you never know till you try.
10-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #16
Kuwabara

Yeah Shantel I raised one for the Crohn's forum!

'To the wisdom of the Crohn's forum, may its infinite knowledge prevent me from eating or drinking anything that will subsequently strike me down!'
10-25-2009, 09:36 PM   #17
cheeky

i'm really not much of a drinker, i've always been a once in a blue moon drinker (and when i do drink maybe one or two glasses tops)... and then when i got diagnosed with crohn's and began medication, i was very nervous to drink for fear of a reaction...

BUT, i went on vacation to new york and decided one night 'screw it!' and had a nice drink... i felt fine. and i had one or two drinks a couple nights in a row, no problem whatsoever.

but i'm still not into the alcohol thing.... i don't like the taste anyway.
10-29-2009, 01:25 AM   #18
crohnsappleadams

Everyone is a little different. It's a matter of trial and error, and understanding with any kind of drink (just like with food) exactly what the consequences will be. I can drink just about anything I want with the exception of dairy-heavy drinks like White Russians. I abide the dude, however, so I've learned to make a pretty tasty White Russian with soy milk. I call it the Asian Caucasian.
10-29-2009, 07:29 AM   #19
lucitcha

Just canīt have alcohol at all. Itīs one of the few things that can keep me AWAKE in the bathroom (I usually can sleep A LOT, no matter how bad my symptoms are - not with alcohol). The following day is horrible too, and it usually takes me a week to fully recover. Good thing is, I donīt miss it too much. Being without chocolate while cutting on lactosis is awfully harder.
10-29-2009, 10:55 PM   #20
cheeky

^^ haha you raise a good point there, i could totally live without alcohol, but life without chocolate = tragedy.
10-29-2009, 11:08 PM   #21
forum contributor
Captain Obvious

cheeky said:
^^ haha you raise a good point there, i could totally live without alcohol, but life without chocolate = tragedy.
Epic tragedy. Life without Reese cups is no life at all.