• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need to vent :(

Well, this is not related to my husband's Crohn's, though it vaguely is. I just need to tell someone about this. We are in NJ now and he is getting his Remicade at NYU under one of the best doctors we have seen. We are so happy and comfortable at the moment especially since he is improving, though not in remission officially. Now, his company wants him to move. Its either Texas or back to India :( :O

We cannot go back to India right now since we have no idea about treatment options there. Most people there don't even know what crohns is. Dallas in Texas should be way better but I am still scared at the idea of changing GIs. What if we do not get a good doctor? What if there is some problem? I hate this uncertainty :(

We are still trying to be here around NJ/NY but I have no idea what is going to happen. Sorry guys, I just wanted to put this out. Also, it would be helpful if anyone has experience with GIs in Dallas. Thanks if you have read this fully.

Aarthi

I'm sorry things are really up in the air. I do understand the importance of finding a GI you can feel confident in.

Dallas would probably be a good choice if it is available. UT Southwestern has a comprehensive crohns and colitis center and Baylor University has a supposedly good IBD center as well.

If you were inclined you could Google the GIs associated with these places and look into to their specialties and research. Often these centers will also have an attendant that will answer questions for prospective patients.

Hope things work out.

Also across the top tabs we have a doctor directory you could see if anyone has posted reviews on docs in the Dallas area there.

Also across the top tabs we have a doctor directory you could see if anyone has posted reviews on docs in the Dallas area there.
Thanks Clash. Yes I did see that. Have noted down a few GIs in Dallas and I am also planning to ask my current GI to provide a referral

The info for both Baylor and UT Southwestern seems in depth and very up to date. Hopefully, you will get some good leads from there.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I don't know anything about Dallas, but I can think of a couple of forum members who live in that area. Tagging Afidz and 2thFairy, are either of you able to help? Thanks ladies!

Lady Organic

Staff member
My first GI (10 years and diagnosis) passed away and I had to find another one. I was very sad especially his death was unexpected, I often think of him. Im lucky enough I fell on a good one after (it was a reference i got from the secretary (very nice) from my first GI clinic. Doctors also retire, move or change practice, so we all have to change GI at some point. This is not cool, I know. I find the best way to find a new dr is to inquire about personal experience of other patients. Hopefully some people here from Dallas will be able to inform you. Or look for doctor's reviews on the internet. I looked at all my doctors reviews on Dr's rating websites and all the personality and competence portraits are pretty accurate!

I know how hard it is to change Drs. It didn't work well for me on our last move.
With good medical records from your Dr, you guys should be ok. If you can stay
in NY you should. My original Dr said they have some of the best Drs there for CD.

Good luck

Lauren

afidz

Super Moderator
UT southwestern is a great hospital for IBD. I have not been there for IBD, but for other health problems. It's a good hospital. Are you going to be moving to the actual city, out one of its suburbs? My GI is excellent, about 20-30 minutes from downtown. He saved my life in 2009 and I wouldn't trade him for anything. If it makes a difference, Dallas and the stringing area is literally the easiest place to get a job right now. It's booming. My city is voted the beast place to live in america. I just bring it up because it's hard to find jobs when your moving

Thanks afidz. I am not really sure where yet. We are still trying to stay in the NYC area, but don't know how it is all going to turn out. If our move to Dallas gets confirmed, I hope I can take the liberty to contact you and get details :)

I second (or third) that you contact UT Southwestern as a starting point. It can take several weeks to get in to see someone at their IBD clinic as a NEW patient, but after that it is a bit easier. They can also recommend other top IBD doctors in the Dallas area outside of the UT Southwestern system.