Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Coffee while on Cortisone

12-12-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
Deadstar

My Support Groups:
Coffee while on Cortisone

Guys i wanted to ask you if its safe to drink coffee (like once a week) during cortisone treatment. I was diagnosed a month and a half ago with Crohn's and currently i am tapering cortisone and getting ready to start Aza. Is coffee safe to drink at this point? Other than some bleeding (usually minor), I am otherwise symptom free.
Thank you for your input
12-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #2
Christi

My Support Groups:
Hi i dont think its a problem but everyone are different , but i dont see the harm in that if you can tolerate coffee. Does anyone else know?
12-14-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
I have always had coffee when on any type of treatment - don't recall anyone ever telling me it was contraindicated with a particular medication I was on.....

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
12-15-2015, 05:50 PM   #4
Deadstar

My Support Groups:
Thank you both for your reply! I drank cofee two days ago and thank god it was well tolerated! My main concern was if cortisone masks any adverse effects of coffee. However, since it was well tolerated i am happy! Thank you again for your input
12-17-2015, 11:56 PM   #5
Lady Organic
Forum Monitor

If you have ever noticed coffee triggers some symptoms, I would discourage its use. I have notice twice in my life coffee made me go very quickly to the bathroom. A lot of people actually drink it because they say it has a laxative effect. I personally do not trust it. I never drank it after the 2 episodes.

Diet: ''IBD-AID'' : http://www.nutritionj.com/content/13/1/5+ organic food only
suppl Curcuminoid extract, Inulin,psyllium, apple pectin, Vitamin D

past meds:
pred 50mg, 5-ASA, cortifoam, Imuran (failed) Purinethol (success) methotrexate (failed CD and arthritis).
12-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #6
Kero

My Support Groups:
I have drank coffee the whole time during my treatment. Been on Entocort (Budenoside) for 2 months now, didn't affect my treatment at all. I wouldn't be able to function without coffee. Hubby works half the time away from home, so I am by myself with a kid 5 days at a time. SO I need to be able to stay awake and care for her

Medications:

Celexa for anxiety/depression

Crohns
Remicade HAd first loading dose, second on on Dec 23. 500mg
Imuran 150 mg
Entocort 3mg
Pentasa 4g/day-failed

IBS-D
Buscopan-failed
Librax-failed
Dicetel-failed
Modulon-failed
Prevacid-failed
Elavil-failed
12-18-2015, 01:15 PM   #7
Christi

My Support Groups:
I did not drink any coffee while i were diagnosed and a while after that it caused me nausea but i eased back to it. I were on rooibos tea for a while
12-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #8
Deadstar

My Support Groups:
The more time passes by the more I understand what everybody is saying about Crohns. I am talking about the fact that its different for every person. I have been carefully drinking coffee here and there and have not noticed anything weird. I went from 1 coffee a day to 1 coffee a week but still I am happy I can still have that one coffee. No association between cortisone and coffee so far.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Coffee while on Cortisone