• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Coffee while on Cortisone

Guys i wanted to ask you if its safe to drink coffee (like once a week) during cortisone treatment. I was diagnosed a month and a half ago with Crohn's and currently i am tapering cortisone and getting ready to start Aza. Is coffee safe to drink at this point? Other than some bleeding (usually minor), I am otherwise symptom free.
Thank you for your input

Hi i dont think its a problem but everyone are different , but i dont see the harm in that if you can tolerate coffee. Does anyone else know?

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I have always had coffee when on any type of treatment - don't recall anyone ever telling me it was contraindicated with a particular medication I was on.....

Thank you both for your reply! I drank cofee two days ago and thank god it was well tolerated! My main concern was if cortisone masks any adverse effects of coffee. However, since it was well tolerated i am happy! Thank you again for your input

Lady Organic

Staff member
If you have ever noticed coffee triggers some symptoms, I would discourage its use. I have notice twice in my life coffee made me go very quickly to the bathroom. A lot of people actually drink it because they say it has a laxative effect. I personally do not trust it. I never drank it after the 2 episodes.

I have drank coffee the whole time during my treatment. Been on Entocort (Budenoside) for 2 months now, didn't affect my treatment at all. I wouldn't be able to function without coffee. Hubby works half the time away from home, so I am by myself with a kid 5 days at a time. SO I need to be able to stay awake and care for her

I did not drink any coffee while i were diagnosed and a while after that it caused me nausea but i eased back to it. I were on rooibos tea for a while

The more time passes by the more I understand what everybody is saying about Crohns. I am talking about the fact that its different for every person. I have been carefully drinking coffee here and there and have not noticed anything weird. I went from 1 coffee a day to 1 coffee a week but still I am happy I can still have that one coffee. No association between cortisone and coffee so far.