Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Does anyone know what they give you in hospital when you are severly under weight?

12-17-2015, 02:20 AM   #1
SuperTech

Does anyone know what they give you in hospital when you are severly under weight?

I went into hospital once, and I was severely under weight. they put me on a drip. Prior to being on the drip my appetite had been pretty much non existent.

But once I was on the drip my appetite improved massively. I can only assume it was the drip that was responsible.

Does anyone know what they give you in the above situation?
12-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #2
tzvia
Forum Monitor

Did the "drip" have nutrition in it? If it did, it could have been like a TPN. Or was the "drip" like a medication, and not a nutrition? In that case, I'm not sure what it could have been.

Current meds: Entocort, Questran
Past meds: Prednisone, Humira

12-17-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Were you also experiencing a flare? You may have had a steroid drip, which would account for the increased appetite....

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
12-17-2015, 10:30 AM   #4
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Back in 1992, I was in the hospital for an abscess. I had gone from 157 lbs. to 123. They put me on Ensure and tried to give me whatever they could to help me gain my eeright back.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Does anyone know what they give you in hospital when you are severly under weight?