Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Yogurt made from probiotic capsules ??

12-29-2015, 12:24 PM   #1
sid

Yogurt made from probiotic capsules ??

Hi friends,

I have been wondering if it is safe to consume yogurt made from a probiotic capsule. Last night I used a single VSL#3 capsule and a little more than half a cup milk to make some yogurt... I was not sure if it would work but it did and I have infront of me nice, firm yogurt and it look yummy too, but am not sure if I should eat it or if there are any don'ts about eating yogurt made from a probiotic capsule. The only thing that I now know is that my probiotic capsules does have live and active bacteria. Any suggestion guys?

Crohn's since Jan 2011.

No meds.
Diet as per ayurveda.
Vitamin D and B12 shots.
Currently experimenting with Probiotics, starting 2016.
And a large joint mad family, thus stress cant touch me.
12-29-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Doing a quick google search I found some recipies to make home made yogurt using probiotic capsules....as for it being safe....do you mean for your Crohn's or in general? That probably is something you need to speak to your doctor about a I do not know how milk is processed where you are.

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
12-29-2015, 04:32 PM   #3
wildbill_52280

I thinks it's possible, milk should pasteurized umm heated past a certain temp for a certain amount of time to kill any remaining bacteria. Its also typically pasteurized already but just to be on the super safe side. i generally believe you should start with a high enough starter bacterial count to ensure the good will overtake the bad bacteria during the fermentation process.
12-30-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
sid

we use pasteurized milk here but we still boil it (old habit) before consumption.
01-02-2016, 07:32 AM   #5
sid

gave up the idea of yogurt as am not sure how it will effect my body, but from today am starting probiotics to see if it helps in controlling the gas problem.
01-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #6
sid

Been 4 days ... experiencing increased gas and bloating... Die off symptoms I guess.
01-09-2016, 07:21 AM   #7
sid

seven days now... bloating has decreased but still gas forms at night.. but BM are easier and no constipation at all... gas forming is my only big issue and is the reason why I started probiotics. I can also feel more energy , I guess thats because of better nutrient absorption. Fingers crossed.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Yogurt made from probiotic capsules ??