• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sublingual B-12 results

For over the last year I have been taking sublingual B-12 instead of getting the injections. Like anything else I use, I like to test it to the best of my ability and I had my blood test yesterday and the results are in.

The range given for the test is 180 to 914 pg/ml.

My results using just the sublingual B-12 were 791.

That is substantially higher than it was while getting the monthly injections. I am quite pleased and surprised at how well it worked.

It would appear that the sublingual form is a viable alternative to the more typical injections. It should be noted that my terminal ileum was removed surgically a few years ago. it is my understanding that this area of the intestine is typically where most B-12 is processed, so there was no chance this was going on in myself.

I was taking Swansons Ultra sublingual B-12. They contain 5,000 mcg of methylcobalamin. I had no particular reason for using that brand, but I do order other supplements from them, and it was available so I gave it a try.

I also had my vitamin D checked as there really is no other way to know how much to take otherwise. At 68.1 that also was at the highest level it has been since I have been having it checked.

I had cut it back to about 22,000 iu from 27,000 iu last winter as I speculated I would absorb it better now since my intestines are in better shape than at any point in recent history. I take about 12,000 iu in the summer months.

Apparently, I am absorbing it better so I will probably cut back again to about 17,000 iu and see where I am at in another year. My goal is to stay between 60 and 80 on the blood test.

I did not see my physician since I had no compelling reason to, he did check the results and also indicated everything was normal. That included all the other blood tests they do typically besides the B-12 and D testing.

Dan

Taking something daily has got to be a lot better than a big dose every now and again, and we only get B12 every 3 months.

Sounds like a lot of Vitamin D.

I agree that a more steady dose is probably better than an occasional injection. I was just surprised that it was possible to forgo the injections. I fully expected failure.

It does seem like a lot of D to take, but the amount you actually absorb is what matters. That is why I get tested regularly.

Dan