Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Can colonoscopy give a false negative during remission?

01-14-2016, 09:58 PM   #1
Hamha

Can colonoscopy give a false negative during remission?

So I got a colonoscopy on Dec 24, and it was normal except for minor hemorrhoids. I am currently pursuing small intestine imagery tests (probably an MRE and/or vidcam) but my question is: If I was in remission when I got the colonoscopy, would Crohn's have been visible? I'm honestly not sure whether or not I was in remission, or am in remission, but I was convinced that colonoscopy was going to show something and I'm seriously baffled that it didn't. So yeah - could it have been normal due to remission? Is that possible?
01-14-2016, 10:33 PM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am not absolutely sure of the answer. I just had my second MRE in the last few months. It showed remission. I still wasn't feeling right. The second one showed some active disease. Someone, in this forum, said you know your body better than anyone. I am wondering if you could be going through something similar?
01-15-2016, 03:06 AM   #3
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi my colonoscopy showed up fine. I clearly wasnt mind. After a scan it showed up in my ileum (small intestine) so yes i would say chase it up. Better to cover all angles than not. Best wishes. 💕
01-18-2016, 08:48 AM   #4
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
There are a number of possibles reasons for a scope coming back clear. It may be that your Crohn's was not active at the time of the procedure, which would produce a negative result if there isn't any scarring to see, it might be that there was only a small amount of active inflammation which would potentially be invisible to the naked eye. Microscopic inflammation can only be seen under a microscope so it's easy to miss, did you have biopsies taken? It could also be that your Crohn's is located outside of the colon. Crohn's can attack anywhere from the mouth to the anus, so it is entirely possible that your inflammation is just too far up for the scope to see.

A good way to get a view of the other areas is imaging, MRI or CT scans can be used to see the whole of the digestive tract and may be a good way forward for you.

Nicola
coeliac disease/Osteopenia /Crohns/Arthritis/
laperoscopic hemicolectomy 25/06/ 2013

Meds- Vedolizumab, sulfasalazine, Lansoprazole, Vitamin D, prochlorperazine, Oramorph, MST, B12 shots My journey with crohns: http://glutenfreecookiemonster.wordpress.com/

Allergic to - inflectra, aza

Non CD meds - Gabapentin, paracetamol, ventolin
03-08-2016, 12:16 PM   #5
Lesleytlc

My Support Groups:
hello, I've just had my first colonoscopy today. The procedure was ok but I'm at a loss as to why they didn't find anything. My pain is in my ileum fosse that is where my bowel was removed years ago. 10 years after my bowel perforated itself I'm still in the dark. I feel like I'm going crazy. What's the next test. Many thanks Lesley xx
03-08-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
hello, I've just had my first colonoscopy today. The procedure was ok but I'm at a loss as to why they didn't find anything. My pain is in my ileum fosse that is where my bowel was removed years ago. 10 years after my bowel perforated itself I'm still in the dark. I feel like I'm going crazy. What's the next test. Many thanks Lesley xx
Is this the first test they have done?

Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Can colonoscopy give a false negative during remission?