• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Food to eat

Hello. This is all new to me i have been very sick and was in the er for this. I need some info on foods i can eat that wont make me feel like some one stabbed me in the stomach. Is pho ok to eat? Any info would help me

Hello there!

Food is a tricky one for people with crohn's or UC. Everyone is different with this. I can eat most things and they do not bother me. Now during a flare, plain rice and plain chicken is my preferred diet. Its all a trial and error to see what works for you. I hope this helps a little. let me know if I can help!

You should keep a food diary and see if there are any particular foods that upset your stomach. Try the brat diet for now. (Bananas, rice,app!esauce, toast.). Hope you feel better soon. Let us know.

I cant do apple sauce or toast. I am on chicken broth at the time a little water and some pain meds. This is the worst flair up i have had and the last about a week but this one is lasting a bout 2 weeks.

I keep a food diary using the app (my fitness pal). It's very individualistic as to what affects certain foods have on us. There are some common ones to cut out and see how it affects you. Some common ones are: Gluten, coffee, Dairy, Spicy foods, Popcorn, Onions/Garlic.
Food additives I stay away from: all the "gums", Carrageenan, MSG(which can be hidden on labels), food dyes
You will have to see what works for you.

Hello. This is all new to me i have been very sick and was in the er for this. I need some info on foods i can eat that wont make me feel like some one stabbed me in the stomach. Is pho ok to eat? Any info would help me
Pho is often loaded with MSG which can cause intestinal inflammation. I like to eat homemade chicken rice soup when I have a flare. Bananas are good too. and peppermint tea.

my little penguin

Staff member
Have you tried liquids?
Supplemental nutrition?
Exclusive enteral nutrition ( formula only no solid food - peptamen peptide etc)
Are used In Kids to induce remission instead of steroids