Share Facebook

01-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #31
Eridon2002

My Support Groups:
Good luck! It definitely is a trial and error process. Try a food journal to track everything. There are some good apps for that.
01-20-2016, 12:49 PM   #32
Hollies83

Sorry how do you find savoury food?
I think I am going to keep a journal so thanx 😀
01-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #33
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hollie,earlier in the thread you asked about takeaways. My wife and I mostly stay away from places that do processed foods. There is one place close to us that fixes foods that are fixed to your orders. If you have a food allergy they will leave it out.

Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
01-20-2016, 12:53 PM   #34
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Good luck! It definitely is a trial and error process. Try a food journal to track everything. There are some good apps for that.
Good idea.

01-20-2016, 12:55 PM   #35
Eridon2002

My Support Groups:
Meats don't bother me at all as long as there aren't seasoning or sauces that can contain hidden ingredients. Fats don't seem to bother me either. Some with Crohn's have problems with fatty foods, especially if they have any gallbladder issues.
01-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #36
Hollies83

Hollie,earlier in the thread you asked about takeaways. My wife and I mostly stay away from places that do processed foods. There is one place close to us that fixes foods that are fixed to your orders. If you have a food allergy they will leave it out.
It's just figuring out what my allergies are. Sorry to be a pain asking all these questions it is just so hard, I have been lucky and not had anything wrong with me before.
01-20-2016, 12:57 PM   #37
Hollies83

Meats don't bother me at all as long as there aren't seasoning or sauces that can contain hidden ingredients. Fats don't seem to bother me either. Some with Crohn's have problems with fatty foods, especially if they have any gallbladder issues.
So you don't eat food like sausage rolls etc
01-20-2016, 12:59 PM   #38
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Don't worry. I have had Crohn's for about 26 years but still feel like I have lots of questions. I think a food diary is a good idea.

01-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #39
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
So you don't eat food like sausage rolls etc
I think for me personally pork bothers my stomach.

01-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #40
Hollies83

Don't worry. I have had Crohn's for about 26 years but still feel like I have lots of questions. I think a food diary is a good idea.
Oh my life that's a long time, no you have been really helpful, I will just be glad when I can work out what I can eat and it makes me feel better 😀
01-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #41
Hollies83

I think for me personally pork bothers my stomach.
Oh blimy, this is going to be hard lol 😀
01-20-2016, 01:03 PM   #42
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Take it one day at a time.

01-20-2016, 01:03 PM   #43
Hollies83

I will do thank you 😁
01-20-2016, 01:04 PM   #44
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
You are welcome. Sending support.

01-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #45
Eridon2002

My Support Groups:
No worries, ask any questions you'd like! I don't eat sausage mostly because it has all kinds or preservatives and ingredients that i don't know whether it will set me off or not. I have no problems eating pork. The meats I eat are unadulterated or seasoned with ingredients I know don't bother me. I do eat bacon every once in a while. I can get no nitrate/nitrite bacon at some health food stores.
01-20-2016, 01:25 PM   #46
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi Hollies, well since I last posted I think your food questions have pretty much been answered lol. I haven't had monthlys for years as my birth control stopped them n so I can't answer that on my own behalf. Tho a few other ladies on here say it can be worse then.
Parsley sauce should be ok as it is quite mild, have you tried sweet n sour sauce but check out if it has anything in it you know affects your tummy.
I will leave you to absorb all the stuff that has come your way for now, but feel free to call out if you need more help, or just to moan, say how you're doing or anything else. Hugs 💖

5yrs since dxd. 3yrs in remission.. in remission since march 2014, dxd july 2012, ileostomy march2014, reversed feb 2015 all's good so far
Mandy
01-20-2016, 03:55 PM   #47
Absentminded
Forum Monitor

If I am in a flare and am cleaning up my diet I make up a big pot of chicken broth/stock (chicken carcass, some veg, herbs etc) and have that with some noodles or rice and some grilled chicken. I freeze any extra in freezer bags.
The stock is really soothing and easy to digest and makes plain rice etc much more interesting.

Diagnosed: July 2009

Resection and removal of Enterocutaneous Fistula: Jan 2014
Pelvic infection Drainage: April 2013
Ileostomy reversal: February 2013
Ileocecal resection and temp. ileostomy (Say hello to Norman!): Nov 2012
Current Medication: NONE!

Past medications: Humira, Infliximab, Azapthioprine, Asacol, Budesonide, Prednisolone, Flagyl, Cipro, Cholestyramine (Questran), Fortisips.
01-20-2016, 04:25 PM   #48
Lizzie

My Support Groups:
Hi Hollies, your current diet sounds a lot like mine (though I am in a non-stop flare right now). I find that rice krispies are the best breakfast cereal for me, and I buy the ones I can find with the least sugar, ie some cheap own brands are lower in sugar than the posher brands. I used to love porridge but that's not possible any more.
01-21-2016, 03:32 PM   #49
Hollies83

Thank you all for you advice 🙂
I have been to see consultant today my blood test results have shown inflammation go from 33 to 144, not good, got to go on a drip now to help the inflammation quicker 😟
Can I ask has anyone had to have a blood test for tb, I have got to have one next week ??
01-21-2016, 04:36 PM   #50
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Years ago. before my first biologic, they gave me a tb test.

01-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #51
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi yes I had to have one before I went on remicade, I think it was the remicade I had it for. Lordy my memory is getting worse lol. I am sorry you are having to go on the drip hun, but it will help you quicker. 💖
01-22-2016, 09:08 AM   #52
Hollies83

Sorry only just responded not been great, did they explain why the were doing a blood test?
Can I ask what you all eat during a flare up? 😊
01-22-2016, 09:14 AM   #53
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Chicken noodle soup, toast,rice.

01-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #54
Eridon2002

My Support Groups:
The TB test is to check to see if you will be able to take biologics. With blood tests they look at all sorts of things-white cell count to see if you have an infection, iron to see if you are anemic, B12 levels, vitamin D levels, CRP levels(inflammation), etc
01-22-2016, 12:09 PM   #55
Absentminded
Forum Monitor

Sorry only just responded not been great, did they explain why the were doing a blood test?

Can I ask what you all eat during a flare up?

Stewed apple, plain white rice, plain grilled chicken, chicken broth, mashed sweet potato.

01-22-2016, 01:30 PM   #56
Hollies83

Chicken noodle soup, toast,rice.
Thank you for your reply 😊
01-22-2016, 01:30 PM   #57
Hollies83

Stewed apple, plain white rice, plain grilled chicken, chicken broth, mashed sweet potato.
Thank you for your reply 😊
01-22-2016, 01:32 PM   #58
Hollies83

The TB test is to check to see if you will be able to take biologics. With blood tests they look at all sorts of things-white cell count to see if you have an infection, iron to see if you are anemic, B12 levels, vitamin D levels, CRP levels(inflammation), etc
Thank you for your reply but can I ask what is biologics 😊
01-22-2016, 03:43 PM   #59
Lizzie

My Support Groups:
Biologics are a class of drugs used to treat Crohns Disease. Remicade is one, and it puts you at greater risk of TB, which is why they test for TB before you go on it. I am possibly going on biologics soon and the thought is quite scary, as some have to be administered via a drip, like chemotherapy. I read that Remicade is now classed as a chemotherapy drug, and so the list of side-effects is very long. However, research seems to show that it's far more effective than, say, steroids, in preventing ongoing damage from Crohns. I'm sure someone who's actually on biologics can give you a better explanation than me! They were originally derived from animals and humans (mice and aborted human foetuses, yuk), hence the name biologics.
01-22-2016, 06:46 PM   #60
Eridon2002

My Support Groups:
Biologics are derived from a biological source. In the case of Remicade, Humira, Cimiza, Entyvio and Stelara; these are monoclonal antibodies made in vitro. Antibody are naturally produced by animals to target "foreign" invaders (virus, parasites, bacterial), so pharmaceutical companies use the natural ability of an antibody to target a specific site on a protein. The biologics antibodies are made in a lab in a specific type of cell culture(hybridoma) that is like a little factory of cells that churn out just this one specific antibody that target one specific molecule. The cells in the hybridoma "factory" can be made out of human cells(like with Humira) or a cross(chimera) of mouse and human cells(like Remicade). The good news about biologics is they are very specific about what they target in the body. For example, Remicade and Humira will only target TNF (a protein in the body). The bad news about biologics is the immune system is SO complex! So hence why there is such a diverse range of side affects. Sorry for the overload of info; this is my field and I find it interesting (I sell research supplies)