• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy results, can anyone translate?

So on Monday I had my first colonoscopy in my quest for a diagnosis. I was given some results but no diagnosis as such, I have to wait for an appointment with the consultant to go over it and the biopsy results. However, I was hoping someone might be able to shed a little light on the colonoscopy results for me?

So the colonoscopy found that my colon "appears pristine" (that made me giggle) but that there was a patch of "granular inflammation" in my terminal ileum. Under diagnosis from the colonoscopy it states "ileitis".

So, any ideas? Is this leading to a Crohn's diagnosis or is it something else entirely I'm looking at? Obviously I will wait and see what the consultant says but I guess I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself a little for what might be coming. Thank you in advance!

scottsma

I think ileitis is inflammation of the terminal ileum.If you type ileitis in the search box at top of page,you'll get some info.

Yes ileitis is inflammation of the ileum. The part seen in colonoscopy is the terminal ileum. Crohn's causes inflammation and ulceration of the terminal ileum.

When you see your consultant for the results if he says biopsies do not show crohn's, make sure you ask what has caused the ileitis as some gastros insists on granulomas being seen on biopsies before a crohn's diagnosis, but hey are often not seen. Also might be worth asking for small bowel studies to se if any other areas of the small bowel affected. (e.g. capsule endoscopy aka pill cam, MRI enterography, small bowel follow through etc).

Do you have a date to see the consultant? Have any of your blood tests / calprotectin been abnormal?

Thanks, if she determines it isn't Crohn's from the biopsy results I will be sure to push for a why. She has already said she thinks there is IBS as part of the problem and I have mebeverine yet again to try but last time it made me super nauseous and didn't help so I'm hesitant to give it another go. I also have fybogel to try so I think I will give it a go over the weekend while I'm home. However as there was inflammation I'm guessing that means IBS isn't the sole problem if there is an element of it there.

So far my blood tests have come back normal as has my fecal calprotectin, which surprised my GP, although I haven't had results from last weeks tests yet. She did say depending how the colonoscopy went she may send me for CT/MRI so I'm hoping that that's the next step because there was inflammation.

No date so far for the follow up appointment, she said it could be up to 4-6 weeks though so I'm trying not to get too hung up on it if that makes sense?

scottsma

4-6wks is the usual waiting time between appointments.Just as well us Brits are a patient lot.But if you feel unwell in the meantime,don't wait !!! See your GP,or go to A+E.