Share Facebook

01-21-2016, 01:34 PM   #1
mamalana

My Support Groups:
Remicade questions

I was approved for Remicade after Humira stopped working for me; I've read all of the threads as far as what to expect- thank you all for the terrific insight! do however, have a few questions that remain.

1) I also take Imuran- do these two meds work well together?
2) Benadryl knocks me out for the day- is it always given before the infusion or can something else be given?
3) Can I expect weight gain/weight loss?
4) Complexion issues?

Thanks in advance!

Dx Crohn's 2014

Current Rx:
Remicade (starting 2/16/16), Imuran, Celebrex, Flovent (for EoE), Singulair

Previous Rx:
Prednisone (pure evil), Budesonide (bad reaction), Prilosec, Bentyl, Protonix, Cimzia (failed after 4 months), Humira (failed after 7 months)
01-21-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
I

1) I also take Imuran- do these two meds work well together?
2) Benadryl knocks me out for the day- is it always given before the infusion or can something else be given?
3) Can I expect weight gain/weight loss?
4) Complexion issues?

Thanks in advance!
1 - Imuran is often taken with Remicade, it can help prevent antibodies from forming. I was on 6-MP for a few years but have been off it and only getting Remicade now for probably 5 years with no real issues.

2 - It depends on the protocol and what orders your GI doctor writes - when I started Remicade, I did not get any pre-meds. After I had an issue with some skin issues (which actually are more related to strep), I started getting Benadryl and solumedrol via IV right before my infusion. I like the IV meds better, they work out of my system faster than the pill. You should check with either your GI or the infusion clinic to see what meds have been ordered. There are usually alternatives available.

3 - I gained weight, but I attribute that to being healthier rather than from the medications themselves. That and I'm getting older and am not quite as active as I used to be.

4 - I haven't had any complexion issues.

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
01-21-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
JaimeM

My Support Groups:
I loved being on Remicade. For some reason I stopped it after having my baby thinking it wouldn't work with my new lifestyle. I had no complexion issues. I did the Benadryl and Tylenol every time before hand. The Remicade always knocked me out for the day though. After awhile they started using Prednisone before the Remicade too and it was wonderful. I felt great