Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Entyvio/Vedolizumab » What's Your thoughts on Entiyvo and PML?

02-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #1
amber_griffin

My Support Groups:
What's Your thoughts on Entiyvo and PML?

I understand that Entiyvo works in the same way that tysabri does and is not a TNF drug. What's your take on Entiyvo and the PML risk?
02-08-2016, 12:09 PM   #2
Scipio

My Support Groups:
I am cautiously optimistic that PML risk from Entyvio is basically zero. So far, both in theory and in actual observation there have been no cases.

Entyvio binds with the α4β7 subunit of the integrin molecule on the cell surface as opposed to the α4β1 subunit that Tysabri binds. According to the theory this α4β7 specificity avoids the activation of JC virus that causes the PML. And so far the reality has aligned with the theory.
06-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #3
RunMomRun

How long has this drug been on the market now in the U.S.?
06-03-2016, 10:28 AM   #4
Scipio

My Support Groups:
Entyvio has been on the market in the US for two years now.
06-03-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
What is PML?
06-03-2016, 02:18 PM   #6
Clash
Forum Monitor

progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy. If you are positive for the JC virus there is a risk of pml or at least that was the case with tysabri but hasn't been proven to be the case with entyvio
dx March 2012 CD

CURRENT MEDS: MTX injections, Stelara

Dx May 2014: JSpA
8/2014 ileocecectomy
9/2017 G tube

PAST MEDS: remicade, oral mtx, humira
06-03-2016, 02:19 PM   #7
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks

06-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #8
ron261

Hi all, I'm back for a reply on this subject :
I have been on Entyvio for 2 years, yes when it first came out.
Started somewhat fine for the first year, it seem to help. But now in the last 6 months of the 2 year been having problems and got worst. Doctor feels it is not working now. Had a cat scan in February and have active Crohn's ( 10 cm. = 3" about ) Had a colonoscopy done in April and found the small intestine is also closing up do to scar tissue, ( real bad ).
I just had another cat scan done and they found 3 more area's of active Crohn's in the small intestine. Setting up with a Surgeon to see what's next. I was told I will be getting a Illiosomy bag this time around. Then put on Stalara after words. Sorry got off the subject here, But yes it will work but each of us are different and respond to meds different, so now I can cross off 4 meds that are used for our Disease.
Good luck to you, It should work but like I said we all respond differently to meds..
06-24-2016, 02:31 PM   #9
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi all, I'm back for a reply on this subject :
I have been on Entyvio for 2 years, yes when it first came out.
Started somewhat fine for the first year, it seem to help. But now in the last 6 months of the 2 year been having problems and got worst. Doctor feels it is not working now. Had a cat scan in February and have active Crohn's ( 10 cm. = 3" about ) Had a colonoscopy done in April and found the small intestine is also closing up do to scar tissue, ( real bad ).
I just had another cat scan done and they found 3 more area's of active Crohn's. Setting up with a Surgeon to see what's next. I was told I will be getting a Illiosomy bag this time around. Then put on Stalara after words. Sorry got off the subject here, But yes it will work but each of us are different and respond to meds different, so now I can cross off 4 meds that are used for our Disease.
Good luck to you, You should work but like I said we all respond differently to meds..
Wish you the best.

06-24-2016, 02:31 PM   #10
ron261

Thanks Ron
06-24-2016, 02:36 PM   #11
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Welcome

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Entyvio/Vedolizumab » What's Your thoughts on Entiyvo and PML?