Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » Pain after abscesses drainage?

02-08-2016, 07:21 PM   #1
marmalade22

Pain after abscesses drainage?

Today I had some unexpected surgery to have a perinatal abscesses drained. I suspected it was there after seeing my surgeon today ( I had ileostomy surgery less than 3 weeks ago) he decided to put me under and drain and pack the abscesses.

I am now back home and I have been told that I am going to have a district nurse come out everyday to re pack my wound because I am unable to make it too my gp at the moment due to having countless complications after surgery.

My question today is that I am currently in a lot of pain from the various issues and I am exhausted from the past few months and I was wondering how painful it is to repack my wound? I was told the abscesses was about the size of a cherry tomato and it was drained completely. It is currently quite sore and I am unable to sit directly on it. I just don't know what to expect tomorrow and any information would be helpful so I can stop freaking out.

Thank you.
02-08-2016, 09:09 PM   #2
valb

My Support Groups:
I just went through this exact situation and I was terrified it would be so painful!! I didn't hurt, not even a bit. It's uncomfortable having someone down there doing the packing every day but it does not hurt. At least it didn't for me. I only did packing for a week. This was a month ago for me now and it's still draining. My surgeon put a seton in cause I developped a fistula. Keep the area super clean and dry. I stick a 4x4 piece of gauze between my cheeks to keep everything dry and it catches whatever drains. I change it every time I go to washroom. Once I was done with the packing I have a few very warm sitz baths every day. I got pain killers but only took them once the day of surgery. Hope it gets better for you.
Just a tip....the first time they changed it it did hurt a bit cause some blood had dried and made the packing difficult to pull out. Request that they wet it first and let it sit for a min or 2 just to loosen it up. I had no issue with any of the following ones.
02-08-2016, 11:23 PM   #3
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I've had it done many times. It's not painfull. The nurse soaked my gauze in sterile water before packing the wound.

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.ca/site/...tis_Canada.htm

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi..._trillium.aspx

Dave
02-09-2016, 03:58 AM   #4
marmalade22

That's a relief! I woke up in so much pain from everything this morning I don't think I would be able to have handled the packing if it hurts! How long does it normally take to pack it?
02-09-2016, 07:30 AM   #5
valb

My Support Groups:
That's a relief! I woke up in so much pain from everything this morning I don't think I would be able to have handled the packing if it hurts! How long does it normally take to pack it?
Only took me like 5 min. Mine is not deep or big however. Maybe take a pain killer before hand if worried about pain.
02-09-2016, 05:59 PM   #6
marmalade22

The nurse was unable to pack if with ribbon as it was too sore and painful so she is bringing a gel tomorrow to fill it with today. She found it quite difficult to find where the abscesses was and determine how big it was so I think mine is more internal? I'm new to abscesses so I don't really know what I'm talking about, I just know that I am finding it extremely painful post surgery and the pain is more intense than before it was drained
02-09-2016, 05:59 PM   #7
marmalade22

The nurse was unable to pack if with ribbon as it was too sore and painful so she is bringing a gel tomorrow to fill it with instead . She found it quite difficult to find where the abscesses was and determine how big it was so I think mine is more internal? I'm new to abscesses so I don't really know what I'm talking about, I just know that I am finding it extremely painful post surgery and the pain is more intense than before it was drained
02-10-2016, 09:25 PM   #8
valb

My Support Groups:
Hmmm...sorry about that! Maybe it is deeper/ more internal. I know I could actually see the packing poking out and it was just a very small piece so I am guessing mine isn't deep or large. How did it go today?
02-11-2016, 04:52 AM   #9
marmalade22

The gel was so much better, didn't hurt at all and it even soothed the area for a short while, although the pain quickly returned

I'm also getting a lot of foul smelling pus draining from the abscesses and there is quite a large lump from what I can feel ( too scared to look!) is this normal? I would have thought there wouldn't be a lump after an abscesses has had surgery done on it? I don't know what is normal and what I should look out for.
02-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #10
valb

My Support Groups:
The draining is normal but I would be concerned if it's foul smelling and also if the lump/ abscess is returning. Are you on antibiotics?? Was the nurse concerned? My draining has no smell at all.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » Pain after abscesses drainage?