• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Deep Breath and Crohn's Disease

Hello - I have just been recently diagnosed with Crohn's Disease, but have not had a chance to meet with the Gastroenterologist yet for an appointment. I still have to wait another 5 weeks. I really don't have many symptoms of Crohn's Disease as far as abdominal pain or diarrhea, but over the last 6 months I have had difficulty taking a deep breath. It gets better and worse at times, but sometimes it is very difficult to get a good deep breath in. I have been to doctors about this, but they just dismiss me because I am young and healthy. I was prescribed an albuterol inhaler, but that didn't seem to help much. Does anyone know if this could be Crohn's related or not? I am wondering if I should go see another doctor about this or if I should just wait until my appointment with the Gastro doctor. It is really random and I will just be sitting at my desk at work and notice I subconsciously gasp for a deep breath. I don't necessarily feel short of breath, but it when I gasp, it makes me think something is going on. Sometimes it feel like when I try to breathe in through my mouth to get a deep breath it gets stopped by my stomach or back and I can't fully breathe in. Please let me know what you would do in this situation or what tests would be best to figure out the issue because my doctor does not seem like he cares much.

Welcome. I am sorry you have this disease but glad you found our group. We have a section in here called Extra Intestinal Manifestations and I am wondering if you could get some answers there. I wish you the best.

I'm no expert but could it be linked to anaemia, this is common with Crohn's and anaemia can cause shortness of breath. Have you had blood tests done recently?

It could be a vitamin b deficiency too. I found out with this last treatment that if you're low on that it can mess with your heart, which can mess with your breathing.. Also my bowels must be really inflamed right now or something because when I take a deep breath it hurts on my crohns site. I'm assuming it's swelled above my crohns site which is then pushing on my liver-->lungs.. you get the idea. But I'm also very much flared right now.