• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gi Problems

I have been having stomach issues and diarrhea for about five years now. I never had insurance until about a year and a half ago and I just started seeing a GI as my primary thought it would be a good idea. I have a sister who has crohns and an aunt who has colitis. Five years ago i went to a free clinic and they did a colo and it looked good and i wasn't loosing weight so they said there was nothing they could do. I saw the GI for the first time 2 weeks ago and she did a bunch of tests and wants me back in 3 months. The tests are coming back and i'm a bit nervous about them. I also had an ultra sound and it showed gallstones so I'm meeting with a general surgeon to look at that next month as i've had some pain probably linked to that. I have no clue what some of these tests even mean so just wanted to see if anyone had any advise as to what they are or might mean. My vitamin d level was 4 so I have been taking big doses of that. I almost always have diarrhea ranging from just once or twice a day to several times a day. I have stomach pain that goes along with it. If anyone has any insight that would be great. My sister has dealt with all this but at the moment she is 40+ weeks pregnant so I hate to bother her. I had a bunch of other blood tests done these were just the ones that stood out to me.

Endomysial IgA: negative
C-Reactive Protein: 1.7
ERYTHROCYTE SEDIMENTATION RATE: 58
WBC: 12.2

Alkaline Phosphatase: 196
Ceruloplasmin: 48.8
MITOCHODRIAL ANTIBODY, M2, S: negative
ANTI-SMOOTH MUSCLE ABPositive 1:160

I am pretty sure the c-reactive protein is a blood test. I am not sure about the others. Ask the doctor about a fecal calprotectin test. It measures the inflammation in your gut. I hope you feel better soon. Keep us updated.

She did order that test as well. She ordered about 30 different ones and only some of the results have come back yet. I'm just worried as I don't really know what anything means. And looking at google can scare anyone.

I have been having stomach issues and diarrhea for about five years now. I never had insurance until about a year and a half ago and I just started seeing a GI as my primary thought it would be a good idea. I have a sister who has crohns and an aunt who has colitis. Five years ago i went to a free clinic and they did a colo and it looked good and i wasn't loosing weight so they said there was nothing they could do. I saw the GI for the first time 2 weeks ago and she did a bunch of tests and wants me back in 3 months. The tests are coming back and i'm a bit nervous about them. I also had an ultra sound and it showed gallstones so I'm meeting with a general surgeon to look at that next month as i've had some pain probably linked to that. I have no clue what some of these tests even mean so just wanted to see if anyone had any advise as to what they are or might mean. My vitamin d level was 4 so I have been taking big doses of that. I almost always have diarrhea ranging from just once or twice a day to several times a day. I have stomach pain that goes along with it. If anyone has any insight that would be great. My sister has dealt with all this but at the moment she is 40+ weeks pregnant so I hate to bother her. I had a bunch of other blood tests done these were just the ones that stood out to me.

Endomysial IgA: negative
C-Reactive Protein: 1.7
ERYTHROCYTE SEDIMENTATION RATE: 58
WBC: 12.2

Alkaline Phosphatase: 196
Ceruloplasmin: 48.8
MITOCHODRIAL ANTIBODY, M2, S: negative
ANTI-SMOOTH MUSCLE ABPositive 1:160
I can only comment on certain tests. The CRP, if measured in mg/l is within range (normal 0-8 or 0-10). If however, it is in mg/dl, it is out of range. The ESR is obviously quite high (normal 0-16 for males; 0-20 for females; varies from lab to lab). WBC is high as well (normal upper limit 10 or 11). All this suggests a possible inflammation (non-specific). The Alkaline phosphatase is an LFT and it is high.

If you can post values of the following parameters, that would be revealing:

Haemoglobin/RDW/Platelets/RBC
Vitamin B12/Folate
ALT/AST
TSH/T3/T4

Thanks. It seems this is RDW-SD, and if so this is normal.

Except ALT which is a little elevated (a liver function test) all others are within limits. There seems to be inflammation going by the earlier results that you quoted, but these results, with one exception are pretty normal.