• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Proof of infectious theory? - Unclassified bacteria was found only in Crohn's patients and not at all in healthy population

"Researchers ... came across two unclassified bacteria that caught their attention. One was found only in portions of the submucosa of the Crohn's patients and not at all in that of the control population, while the other was found only in the control group and not at all in the Crohn's patients."

Read full article here.

For me it sounds like one more proof of presence of something pathogenic and causative inside us. For me it sounds like one more evidence of existence of some infectious bug responsible for Crohn's.

Although article doesn't clarify whether first mentioned bacteria, found only in Crohn's patents but not all in healthy controls, is member of mycobacteria family (I believe researchers work hard now on identifying it), that's what I found about Rodrick Chiodini, author of this finding:

"His primary research focus and Ph.D. thesis subject was paratuberculosis in cattle. In the late 1970's and early 1980's, Dr. Chiodini made the transition from animal disease to human disease and began to investigate the relationship between mycobacteria and Crohn's Disease in humans. ... After over 20 years of effort in this area, no-one understands the implications or politics of Crohn's Disease and mycobacteria better than Dr. Chiodini. "

Pretty clear what he was looking for, huh? =) Now it's even more interesting what exactly he found..

Update:
I'm not a big fan of conspiracy theories of milk industry or big pharma (who, we have to admit it, are least interested in proving the infectious cause of Crohn's), but that's the fact: article completely disappeared from the "billingsgazette" before any other website got chance to repost it. Currently there are 0 (zero) acticles about this finding on the internet, only two mentions of Rodrick Chiodini in the last month - in the deleted article and in this post.

But happily cache of the google doesn't forget nor forgive anything :D
Enjoy:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...cle_3a0bacd7-9c0f-51f2-a40f-d59d04d0eaec.html

Update 2:
Original article is in the air again.

Last edited:
Maybe they printed the article sooner then they meant to, science can be competitive so maybe they didn't want to reveal his research findings just yet. This sound's like some important findings though. Another possibility is that the research was flawed with mistakes and never was able to make it past the peer review process to be published in a journal, so they took the article down. Interesting post though.

What was interesting to me as they may have found an unclassified pathogen, which would be different then then currently suspected pathogens like AIEC and MAP. These two previously known pathogens are also occasionally found in healthy controls so for a new pathogen only associated with IBD could play a large role in the disease state.

Last edited:
A new angle Chiondi's research found is that there are different species in sub mucosal layer than mucosal layer/fecal matter, both in Crohn's and control group. So there is a sort of underground community that exists distinct from the surface dwellers.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26222621

The original article OP linked is back. Chiondi has a few research papers that show up in searches that name the different bacteria. Probably not a conspiracy to conceal this info, just a glitch.

What was interesting to me as they may have found an unclassified pathogen, which would be different then then currently suspected pathogens like AIEC and MAP. These two previously known pathogens are also occasionally found in healthy controls so for a new pathogen only associated with IBD could play a large role in the disease state.
Unfortunately, it is not that simple, as there are infections which can be asymptomatic in many people and cause horrendous disease in others - mycobacterium tuberculosis being a good example. What we need is Chiodini to publish what he has found, particularly if this is a new form of mycobacteria not previously identified.

I remember from a hundred years ago (quite the exaggeration, but I AM old), a doctor once told me that CD lies right under the surface of the gut, and once that layer is destroyed/disturbed, the disease becomes active, probably due to some microbacterium. He said no one else believed his theory, but one day they would. He diagnosed me after a barium enema set up in me and when we tried to remove it, some of the lining of my colon came with it. My CD started in exactly those same spots. He just smiled at me and winked..."some day", he said. Cold comfort though it was.

While none of the links will work for me, I do actually believe a little in conspiracy theory. Lol. It's estimated that over 90% of dairy cattle in the US has MAP. Proving that MAP is in fact an infectious bacteria to a large population would cripple the industry for years. The fact that it is not completely killed off in the pasteurization process leads into having to cull 90% of dairy cattle. That would cost billion upon billions of dollars on its own. Not to mention the sudden drop in milk sales costing a few more billion dollars.

When this does finally come to light, there will be massive repercussions in the dairy world. I don't wish any ill circumstances to any farmers (being one myself) but I also don't wish for a product to be infecting an entire population to be readily available and actually PUSHED upon people.