Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » How did you receive +/- test results

03-03-2016, 11:46 PM   #1
mandycraze

How did you receive +/- test results

Two questions in one here.

I had a biopsy last week of my TI during a colonoscopy as GI said it was inflamed. The day of biopsy, they said results would be back in about a week. They said that if the results came back with something of interest or needed further testing, they would call. If negative, they would mail me a letter with the findings. Today was the one week mark. No call. So I called them. The receptionist said the dr stated he wanted a follow up appt. If it was good news (negative biopsy - not really good because I'm back at square one), wouldn't they tell me over the phone? Or at least say the letter is in the mail - something other than a follow up?

If further testing was needed, would he want to follow up before making appts for other tests? - during my 1st appt, when we scheduled the colonoscopy, I overheard the receptionist calling a patient and said the dr wants further testing... So I would assume they would have done the same for me.

I was just referred by my PCP to this dr 2/3 weeks ago. So I'm unsure how his office works - but in your experiences, do you normally get good news over the phone? And are any further tests completed prior to return visit?

Thanks so much!

03-04-2016, 01:51 AM   #2
tots

My Support Groups:
Having worked for a Dr, who is great dr, if something showed up on tests he would call them right away, it was my experience- if a test was something other than normal the Dr usually knew very quickly. Example- I drew blood for a routine physical on a pt. I came in the next morning - results came in at the same time- I called the Dr with the abnormal results. The Dr I worked for laughed and said I was already late- the pt was in the hosp and chemo already started. So blood draw at 4, chemo by 1 am. Very unexpected for a routine physical.
The point being they don't sit on negative results. Having a pt come back in may indicate results were as expected or they need to do additional tests depending on how you still feeling or it led to a dx you had previously talked about.

Hope that helped and I didnt lose you with that explanation

good luck, i hope all goes well

Lauren

Diagnosed= 1992 and again Feb 2012 Confirmed with
CT enterography May 2015 !!

Waiting for the ok from my Ins company to restart Remicade. Will also start Imuron to get into remission!
I know it's out there somewhere and I WILL find it!

:

Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » How did you receive +/- test results