• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Morphine pain

Hi All

I'm taking oramorph at the moment and having terrible stomach cramps.I'm aware this is a side effect of morphine and can cause a parilytic Ileum. Does anyone else experience this and have they stopped taking oramorph?

Many thanks

Trysha

Staff member
I have had a similar reaction and also get the unbearable pain with codeine and the docs had to switch to another pain med.
They were advised by the hospital pharmacist.
Perhaps you would be better to let your doctors know so they can give you an alternative
drug.
Feel better soon
Trysha

I have had a similar reaction and also get the unbearable pain with codeine and the docs had to switch to another pain med.
They were advised by the hospital pharmacist.
Perhaps you would be better to let your doctors know so they can give you an alternative
drug.
Feel better soon
Trysha
Thanks Trysha. I'll talk to my GP.

Oh man! I thought I was the only one! Anytime I'm in the Er or admitted I have to be on dilaudid because the iv and oral morphine give me awful stomach cramps, which if I'm in there that's probably an issue I'm already having and it just makes things worse. Glad to know I'm not the only one :)

I agree with the above post about getting it changed.