Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Unemployment and remicade

03-10-2016, 03:26 PM   #1
Soohie

Unemployment and remicade

My company is going through layoffs right now I am now getting Remicade it is working for me Will I still be able to get remicade treatments if I am unemployed with out it I think I would be in pretty bad shape especially with joint pain I really stressed about this

TIA

Crohns 7/2015
03-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #2
shamrock15
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Have your remicade coordinator examine the programs. They do offer plans that can cover most of the cost of the meds. Get it started early so that there will hopefully be no interruption in your meds.
03-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #3
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Will you still have insurance? If so, you might want to check into a program called Remistart.
03-10-2016, 09:33 PM   #4
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Typically even if you leave a company you can get a cobra ( pay for the insurance out of pocket ) to keep you current insurance I think for 18 months
Also you can get insurance in the market place since losing a job is a life changing event
03-11-2016, 02:09 PM   #5
GotCrohns

Hey Soohie,

My understanding is that Crohn's is a disability even when it is in remission. Although this is by no means legal advise it may be worthwhile to seek accommodation in the workplace. See the attached link. These days employers are more aware than ever of their "duty to accommodate", and would not want to be seen as discriminating against an individual with a disability. It could possibly keep you off the layoff list. All the best

http://www.disabilityrightswa.org/re...ons-employment
03-13-2016, 02:01 AM   #6
tots

My Support Groups:
Personally I would go out on disability before I would get laid off. We lived in Kirkland and
my husband was laid off twice while we were there so I know how you feel. i think then you just have to keep up your normal payment not the Cobra amount.

Does your company have short/long term disability or is it through the state? I kinda think not as you don't pay state income tax like Calif.

Lauren

Diagnosed= 1992 and again Feb 2012 Confirmed with
CT enterography May 2015 !!

Waiting for the ok from my Ins company to restart Remicade. Will also start Imuron to get into remission!
I know it's out there somewhere and I WILL find it!

:
03-13-2016, 05:45 AM   #7
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I agree. I would rather go on disability.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Unemployment and remicade