• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Could I be misdiagnosed

Diagnosed with Crohns 4 years ago. They did a colonoscopy, and a few other xrays, they did a boat load of blood tests. They came back and said Crohns large intestine. I have read some places that when it is in the large intestine it could be UC...thoughts?

Crohns that is located in the colon only is called Crohn's Colitis.

Here's a link describing the types by location. Crohns colitis is sometimes referred to as granulomas colitis since those are present with CD. Although, granulomas can be easily missed in biopsies so a biopsy negative for granulomas doesn't rule out CD. Also CD is transmural where UC only affects the top layer. Some are dxed as indeterminate colitis is type of IBD isn't discernable at dx.

http://www.ccfa.org/what-are-crohns-and-colitis/what-is-crohns-disease/types-of-crohns-disease.html

I have Crohn's and so far it is limited to my large intestines. I just had a resection due to a massive stricture. I had 22cm of my splenic flexure and descending colon removed of Feb 16th. Crohn's can be anywhere along the GI tract from mouth to rectum. Crohns is differentiated from UC as Clash has said. With Crohn's the inflammation is through all layers of the not just the surface. In fact, I spoke with a research who looks at Crohns biopsies; she told me the inflammation can extend into the surrounding tissue.