Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Another Remicade question

11-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
chelli

Another Remicade question

Does/can remicade make people gain weight? I've gained about 20 #'s since I started it.

Chelli

Diagnosed 3/2009
Methotrexate 12/2009
11-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

Are you feeling better on the Remi Chelli?
I gained a lot of weight back once feeling better on Remicade, but it was because I was feeling so much better, and eating more because of it. My body was in such starvation mode that the pounds piled on quickly, but it was much needed.
11-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
chelli

[QUOTE=My Butt Hurts]Are you feeling better on the Remi Chelli?
QUOTE]

Answering this question is pretty complicated for me. I don't have the joint pain that I was having and the stomach pain is much decreased. The fatigue is there but the question remains what is causing it. I have heart disease and hyperparathryoidism on top of crohn's. I am trying to address the cardiac issues before the parathryoid because I don't want to have another heart attack.

One thing that I have noticed is that my stomach hurts less when I'm full. This is probably due to the fact that my chrohn's is primarily in my stomach. This is probably why I've gained so much weight. I haven't been able to get the crohn's under control until receintly. I am having some serious runny stools but I'm gaining weight and not losing a pound. I have plenty to lose also.

Thanks for responding.
11-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
farm
Captain Insaneo

I think it does make you gain weight. I've gained about 20lbs since I started on it. Good thought chelli!!
11-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
chelli

Arrrgh...
Remind me to never turn 40 again. I was healthy before then.
11-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
chelli

Well, Since I turned 40, I was diagnosed with crohn's, had a heart attack, diagnosed with hyperparathryoidism, diagnosed with anemia, had my son move out and moved again.

I've had enough.
11-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
farm
Captain Insaneo

Dang, Hope 41 ROCKS for you then!!
11-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
chelli

I'll let you know starting in December.
11-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
farm
Captain Insaneo

Oh yes it'll be a new beginning for you. I'm sure of it!!
11-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #10
chelli

We'll see.
11-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
CrohnsHobo

I have been on Remicade for about three years. I also did a short cycle about 10 years ago. I started off getting it every 8 weeks, now I receive the IV every four weeks with a really large dose or so the nurses say, I know my Dr. raised it when I went to four weeks.

I never noticed weight gain outside of just feeling better and eating more. Now that I am not responding as well I have only had about 2-3 lbs of weight gain since January.

The most noticeable side effects for me are fatigue. It really wears me down. I also get some head aches the week of. Most side effects seem to diminish as the weeks pass.

When Remicade is working it is a wonderful drug, always picked me right up. One of the worst things outside of side effects is the cost, never knew an IV could be so expensive until I started Remicade.
12-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
krahsdnal

I would have to agree with MBH, i think you tend to feel better and eat more. When I was on remicade with no flareups I did gain wieght initially

-------------------
Diagnosed 1986
Have been on most of the medications, was on Remicade for the last 4 years on a maintenance dose of Pentasa now
Small Bowel resection Jan 2010

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1209403734

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Another Remicade question