Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Surgery one week - son back to college the next?

03-29-2016, 07:35 AM   #1
Dar

Surgery one week - son back to college the next?

My son (19) was dx last summer with Crohn's disease. He had bloody diarrhea and a colonsocopy / MRE showed an asymptomatic stricture in the TI. He was started with top down medications - remicade, Imrun, Ferrous sulfate (no longer needs) and Pentasa. His diarrhea stopped but the stricture continued to grow(change?) even when the inflammation went away. He had a ileocecal resection last Wednesday (4 inches - TI valve and appendix included) and already insisted on going back to college (five days later). His surgeon agreed??? Everything I read is that he need to wait at least 3 weeks to do anything? He is tired, walks like he is a very old man. He is down to taking tylenol 3 for pain and is determined to be a normal college student again. This does not seem right. What might be the consequence of this? (Even when the surgeon approves?) THANKS for any insight.
03-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
Clash
Forum Monitor

My son had the same type of surgery, an ileocecectomy, August before last. He was 17 at the time. His surgery was on a Thursday and by the next Thursday he was back at work and school. His only restriction was that he was not allowed to lift 10 lbs or over for 6 weeks.

He started walking the evening of the surgery and by his discharge day 3 days later he was fairly mobile, maybe just walking gingerly. He didn't require pain meds after discharge and his surgeon told him to listen to his body and let it determine when he was ready to move forward in recovery.
dx March 2012 CD

CURRENT MEDS: MTX injections, Stelara

Dx May 2014: JSpA
8/2014 ileocecectomy
9/2017 G tube

PAST MEDS: remicade, oral mtx, humira
03-29-2016, 05:08 PM   #3
Dar

Thank for posting! Everyone I told looked aghast. And just to know others have had this "get up and go experience" is reassuring! Thanks!
03-29-2016, 05:21 PM   #4
Clash
Forum Monitor

I think it is dependent on how well they recover, C seemed to recover quickly. But I've seen other parents post thear children were back to activities quickly as well.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Surgery one week - son back to college the next?