• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Abscess/boil question?? Please need advice

I posted the other day about a boil/abscess I have on my vluva area. It is very close to my vagina. It started as a small bump I felt under my skin in that area a few weeks back. I did not think anything of it as it did not bother me at all. Well a few days ago It had swelled up more and was uncomfortable. I started using hot compresses on it a few times a day. I noticed a little white head. it leaks on and off. It is soft on top but kind of hard underneath it seems. It is like the size of grape. I made an appointment with my dermatologist for this Wednesday. Right now I also have my period which is not helping matters with all the mess.

Anyhow, I have been reading up on boils/abscesses and read that they are always due to Staph bacteria and sometimes MRSA! It also says that if any of the fluid that is inside it gets on nearby skin, it can cause more boils to appear. I am very worried because I certainly do not want a bunch of these things all over down there. The bad thing is that my skin is irritated down there as it is due to my period( I always get very sore skin and irritated all over when I get my period). I can only wear pads as the Tampons bother my IC bladder. Anyhow, it also says to cover the boil with a bandage. Uh, how the heck can I do that? There is no way because of where it is located. I could not get a bandage to stay in that area. Also would not want to put anything sticky with adhesive in that area due to the hair down there.

How infectious are boils/abscesses? Am I going to be getting them spreading all over down there now because this thing is leaking? Very worried. Any advice?