Share Facebook

04-08-2016, 01:20 PM   #1
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
What is this pain?

Hi all,

I have crohn's in my terminal ileum and currently in a flare. I have had a constant dull ache on my right side for about 3 months now, and steroids have had no effect on this. Does anyone know what this could be? Obviously I have inflammation there but I've had inflammation there for ages and never had any symptoms from it. And if it is inflammation I would have thought the steroids would have made some change to it. I haven't got any symptoms of fever etc and all my observations like blood pressure are normal.

Thanks

2nd Generation affected

Symptoms since 2006 (age 17)

Emergency open bowel resection after perforation in 2011 (age 22) (wrongly diagnosed as burst appendix ). Three years remission following this unmonitored

DX with perforating small bowel Crohn's Disease 01/2016 (terminal ileum, duodenum) and coeliac disease (age 26)

Meds:
75mg azathioprine
Gluten-free diet
04-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Not sure. Maybe you need to increase the dosage of steroid. Have you consulted your doctor?
04-08-2016, 04:40 PM   #3
shamrock15
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It is possible that there is a narrowing, however this is only conjecture. At a certain point you can have scar tissue form so while there is no active inflammation you can have impaired movement through the bowels. Very much worth getting it checked out.
04-08-2016, 04:47 PM   #4
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Yeah its fairly common to have chronic inflammation in an area without experiencing real pain for awhile. I had inflammation in my terminal ileum for years before I had experienced any real pain and there are a myriad of explanations possible for this. Could be the development of an abscess, ulcers, or stricturing of the bowel. I also experienced that dull ache on the right side of my abdomen, right under my rib cage for about 3 months before i finally gave in and went to the ER.

I think the next step would be to get a scope for the effected area or at the very least a CT scan though the CT scan won't necessarily be able to pin point where the pain would be originating from. A scope would be your best bet.

All the best

Gianni

JUICING! click here!
04-08-2016, 07:41 PM   #5
lisadc1

My Support Groups:
I agree with Shamrock 15. I had surgery last week for the adhesions. They won't show on CT's/ultrasounds. My surgeon said the only way to know for sure was surgery...Hope you find answers soon.
04-08-2016, 09:32 PM   #6
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yeah its fairly common to have chronic inflammation in an area without experiencing real pain for awhile. I had inflammation in my terminal ileum for years before I had experienced any real pain and there are a myriad of explanations possible for this. Could be the development of an abscess, ulcers, or stricturing of the bowel. I also experienced that dull ache on the right side of my abdomen, right under my rib cage for about 3 months before i finally gave in and went to the ER.

I think the next step would be to get a scope for the effected area or at the very least a CT scan though the CT scan won't necessarily be able to pin point where the pain would be originating from. A scope would be your best bet.

All the best

Gianni
I had a blockage six years ago and my surgeon told me that it had been that way for a while.