• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Kip

kip

Hello All - I am new to this but not Crohn's. I have been battling for 20 years. Had a bleed out recently requiring 4 units of blood and I am now scheduled for an iliostomy bag on the 17th of this month. Permanent. I am freaked out about it and any insight as to what I may expect would be great.

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
Hi, Robert! :welcome:

Sorry about what you're going through. I'm not officially dx'd yet, so pretty new to this myself. I'm sorry I don't have any info on this, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum :)

Kip. Sorry you're going through all of that. We've only been dealing with Crohn's in our home for 5 years now. I can offering caring support if that helps!

Welcome Bob, you've come to the right place for info and support mate. The folk around here are real helpful

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
:welcome: Kip

I don't have an ileostomy, but there are others here who may be able to answer any questions that you may have. I know it sounds scary, but it seems like the ileostomy can be a big relief for many people. I hope you stick around the forum so we can get to know you a little better. Good luck.

Hello Robert,

I haven't had the surgery you are speaking of but plenty here have,
and you should be able to find the answers you are looking for.

All the best to you...
Welcome to the Crohn's Forum! :)

Hi Robert, Welcome to the forum, I have not had this surgery but I know people who have, Its has been the makig of them, a few problems in the beginning but they soon get sorted. Hope you feel better soon. Peggy

Hey Kip,

I'm afraid I can't advise on your surgery, but I hope all goes well. You've come to the right place.

Lihyloo

hi Robert, and welcome to the forum :) i'm really glad you've found us at this stage, as going in for an ileostomy can be a daunting experience, particularly if you're going into it not knowing anyone else who's got one, or what it's like to have one etc... a few of us here do have ileostomies - me included - so any specific questions you may have, please shout out.

regarding recovery time, i would estimate that you'd be home within 8-10 days, they'll get you up & walking pretty quickly within 48 hours probably, you'll have your pain relief brought down bit by bit in the hours following surgery, and may just leave hospital with paracetamol or similar.

the rules are pretty much the same for any abdo operation, no lifting anything heavier than a kettle for a few weeks, no driving for 6 weeks, and gentle exercise only.

you should feel tons better very soon after the first few days of recovery - once the diseased bowel is out of you, those symptoms that have brought you down for so long will disappear.

what exactly are you freaked out about? let us know your concerns and we'll try to help. there are some really great threads here about life with a stoma.. just do a search on stoma, ostomy etc.