• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Groove mark in stool - history of internal hemorrhoids and fissures

Hello all,

Today I passed stool after 3 days (I take a drug similar to Librax) and the initial part was hard (it hurt and it is hurting for the past 1.5 months). The later part was soft and when I looked at the later part I saw a longitudinal groove mark in the stool. I also noticed a bright red blood mark. I was diagnosed with internal hemorrhoids in a normal colonoscopy in March 2015, and was diagnosed with a fissure in 2013. Currently, I am feeling sharp pain in the rectum when straining for hard stool.

The groove mark is a symptom of colon cancer is what is freaking me out. Could this be due to hemorrhoids or fissure?

I cannot take time off from work for the next 2 weeks unless an absolute emergency arises. :(

I'm sorry I can't tell you what is causing this groove, but once or twice I have had the same thing and I know it is worrying. However, I have had a colonoscopy very recently and there was no sign of cancer. I've also never had a fissure or haemorroids as far as I know. So whatever is causing it, it isn't necessarily one of those things as far as I know. I'm only talking about my personal experience and of course you need to get it checked out if it's worrying you. (I have Crohns, previous diagnosis was proctitis.)

Scipio

It takes a lot more than a groove mark to diagnose cancer. Grooves can also be caused simply by slow transit time through the bowel, which it sounds like you have. I say just keep and eye on it and mention it to your GI at your next appointment.

I agree. You need to get it checked out. I don't remember before I was diagnosed having both hemorrhoids and either a fissure or fistula. I don't remember a groove mark though. Best to you.

If I have even a soft stool - I have D/extremely loose stools anywhere from 4 - 8x daily - then I always, always, always have the groove markings with mucous and blood. I also have internal hemorrhoids. I just assume that is from the hemorrhoids. All my colonoscopies have come back neg. for any signs of cancer, just good ole' Crohns, polyps, etc...I have never even mentioned these symptoms to my GI. I just assumed it was normal. I would just voice your concerns the next appointment.

Thank you so much for the replies. I am going to work, and yesterday night I slept with a great deal of trepidation. Your replies give me hope. :)