• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Parasitic worms may prevent Crohn’s disease by altering bacterial balance.

Parasitic worms may prevent Crohn’s disease by altering bacterial balance.

This was a mouse study but it supports the general idea of the hygiene hypothesis(HH). The idea of the HH that our over cleanliness has contributed to the rise of chronic disease and we have either eradicated beneficial organsims or haven't been exposed to enough pathogens to properly train the immune system. The theory behind Fecal Microbiota Transplants are also rooted in the hygiene hypothesis and attempt to restore the missing bacteria that could be essential for our immune systems.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016...nt-crohn-s-disease-altering-bacterial-balance

This was a mouse study but it supports the general idea of the hygiene hypothesis(HH). The idea of the HH that our over cleanliness has contributed to the rise of chronic disease and we have either eradicated beneficial organsims or haven't been exposed to enough pathogens to properly train the immune system. The theory behind Fecal Microbiota Transplants are also rooted in the hygiene hypothesis and attempt to restore the missing bacteria that could be essential for our immune systems.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016...nt-crohn-s-disease-altering-bacterial-balance
Nice to know something is being done but don't know how reputable article/ study is. I assume you read alot of studies about Crohn's. How close do you think a cure is for Crohn's?

This theory has been around for a lot of years. I spoke with the doctor who implemented the study with positive results. The FDA wouldn't approve the study and he had to back off. The eggs of the parasitic worms were place in Coke, and the participants drank it. Off and running into remission. I begged him to let me participate, but I was flatly turned down on the basis of ethics since the study had been shut down. That was 30-some odd years ago.

Too bad for us.

I am one of the naysayers. I do not believe a cure is just around the corner. There is nothing on the horizon and nothing being studied as a 'cure'. That from my GI doctor. He's relatively young and very aggressive with keeping up with the latest. The best we can hope for is remission for now, or at least slowing the progression.

Nice to know something is being done but don't know how reputable article/ study is. I assume you read alot of studies about Crohn's. How close do you think a cure is for Crohn's?
I believe Fecal Microbiota Transplants have cured crohn's and UC already, its just going to take more cases before its obvious, so yes a cure is probably right around the corner. look at the first post of the fecal transplant thread in this research section of the forum, scroll down and see the evidence for fecal transplants its really amazing some of the worst cases have been dramatically turned around from FMT, and some people seemed to be cured, yet others not so much, When they make a FMT pill which they are working on, results will be more consistent.

I am one of the naysayers. I do not believe a cure is just around the corner. There is nothing on the horizon and nothing being studied as a 'cure'. That from my GI doctor. He's relatively young and very aggressive with keeping up with the latest. The best we can hope for is remission for now, or at least slowing the progression.
Given how far medice has advanced I don't think it's wishful thinking to think that a cure or at least long term remission is a few year away.

We shall see.

Unfortuantely I'd have to agree with your logic, I haven't asked my GI yet on their intake.
1932 was when Crohn's was discovered is that correct? 84 years, fairly new compared to other diseases cured. Maybe our curing speed has increased with this medicine era? Here's to hoping so

We have long term remission now, RobertP, with the advent of the biologics. What Zim and Wildbill are saying, they believe a "cure" is "just around the corner". That is what I am contesting. It is not, according to the latest data.

I've lived this disease for 40 years, and I've helped build some of those sand castles over the years. I'm much more reserved, less likely to tilt at those windmills, rather than be disappointed again and again. Been there too many times to find it even remotely possible without scientific PROOF.

We have long term remission now, RobertP, with the advent of the biologics. What Zim and Wildbill are saying, they believe a "cure" is "just around the corner". That is what I am contesting. It is not, according to the latest data.

I've lived this disease for 40 years, and I've helped build some of those sand castles over the years. I'm much more reserved, less likely to tilt at those windmills, rather than be disappointed again and again. Been there too many times to find it even remotely possible without scientific PROOF.
Why I think that a cure is possibly a few years away is for 2 reasons 1 How much medical science has come in just the last few years I've read some reports that diseases that killed you for sure like HIV are a few years away from a cure if that can be cure Crohn's can as well. The MAP vaccine shows a lot of promise from what I understand and have been reading.

The second reason is how much these biological can help younger patients who get Crohm's I'm 22 I got disagnosed just last month I'm been on biologics for around 3 weeks and already I feel great again, I have to think that these more advanced medicenes will have a strong impact on young patients perhaps it will make permanent remission possible in time.

scientific evidence/proof is what were have for Fecal Transplants, that is what is included in the fecal transplant thread so check out the first post.

That we've failed in the past should not be that we give up hope that we will succeed in the future. All it takes is a little cement, and those sand castles will become durable concrete structures. Chive on, and never give up hope!