• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Not letting the flare up beat us up - sports!

Hello there!

Alright so I posted earlier today in the "Your story' section of the forum and in my story I had a question regarding boxing! I was thus recommended to check out this section and voila, here I am!

Short story shorter: I had a pretty bad flare up until a few months ago and am recovering rather well! :) And even though things haven't completely stabalised, me and a friend of mine (who has a bad case of asthma) decided to start getting fit again. We figured, hey you know what, while we're at it we might as well record the entire thing and put it on youtube, who doesn't want to see two retards getting sweaty together? Entertainment right there people!
The basic idea is to get into boxing as soon as I'm completely stable. Challenge what this disease would normally limit us to.

The question was if there were people out there that have experience with IBD and boxing. I'd also like to ask if there are any people out there that'd be interested in watching such a thing? (if we can do it, you can too!) If so, is it allowed to post links here?

Thanks for reading! :D

Hi,

I think what you and your friend are doing to deal with your situations is beautiful; your way of handling your flare is admireable.

I'd recommend, maybe ask for a bone density scan just to make sure you don't have any issues before you start boxing (especially if you were taking a lot of steroids, but not only - Crohns can cause osteoporosis/osteopenia by malabsorption of vitamin D / magnesium/ calcium).
It's the easiest test ever.

Good luck and hope you only get better and stronger !