• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Post-colonoscopy pain and nausea?

Hi, my name is Lauren and I am a new user of this forum! I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in my terminal ileum at the age of 16 (I am now 21), and after a few flare ups between the ages of 16 and 18, I was in remission for three years on Azathioprine (18-21).

I came off Azathioprine a year ago, and 10 months later find myself in a flare up. I have taken Budnesonide (didn't work), and am now on Azathioprine again and Modulen (liquid diet) to control my pain/induce remission.

I had a colonoscopy yesterday and had a severe reaction to the Prep. I was vomitting all night and even when I was admitted to hospital. I wanted to go along with the procedure as - quite frankly - I had been through so much shit (pardon the pun!!) that I wasn't going to do it all for nothing. They did it at around 6pm yesterday, I was awake and had morphine and sedation for painkilling.

Today i'm in a lot of pain - I feel like someone has punched me 100 times in my stomach! The thought of eating makes me feel sick (I haven't eaten anything for 3 days now).

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this too, and when you symptoms cleared up? Is there anything in particular that worked to ease the pain?

Thanks so much!

*EDIT: The only thing I am managing to stomach is Pickled-Onion Monster Munch?!?! (Bizarre). I can't face doing my liquid diet until I'm feeling better.

I found the colonoscopy quite painful (apparently I have "tight bends" in the words of the endocopy nurse!) and to be honest it took about 4-5 days for it to go entirely, but only 2-3 for it to become just an ache rather than pain. I stuck to liquid and soft foods until the pain cleared up, mostly fruit puree meant for babies and ready brek to be honest, with a bit of chicken broth.

It might be worth trying some peppermint tea as that can help with nausea and will also help with any gas which might be left over too. Or suck something like polo's, extra strong mints, foxes ones. It might also be worth seeing if you can be prescribed some antisickness tablets just to get you over the nausea enough to have a bit of food/the modulen. I have had them given to me by the walk in/out of hours so you could always try them with it being the weekend now.

Hope it passes soon for you!

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi,
Did they pump a lot of air into you during the procedure?
That might be one cause.

Hope you feel better soon.