Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Disease and The Canadian Army

04-18-2016, 02:34 AM   #1
Martin Saba

Crohn's Disease and The Canadian Army

I want to join the Canadian Armed Forces after high school but I have crohns disease. My crohns disease is as mild as it can get. I only eat 2 pills of pentasa a day in the morning but recently I've been eating only one because it's just to expensive. I can even go a long time without even eating the medicine. It doesn't get in the way of anything I do and it never bothers me. I have check ups like every 6 months but I've missed them because I've been so busy and they don't reschedule it so the next appointment isn't for another 6 months, so I haven't gone to a check up for about a year and a half and I'm perfectly fine. Can I still join the Canadian Army as an Infantry Soldier?
04-18-2016, 10:50 AM   #2
Humor

I've been recently looking into the same thing via the British Army as I'm interested in going into the mechanical engineering route if my pursuit of professional sport fails. (Currently studying A Level Physics, Maths and Business) - Every recruiter I've spoken to has said that they cannot allow any exceptions regarding the disease, although it may be more lenient/different in Canada. If you didn't mention it during the recruitment process, you could potentially get discharged/other complications. I feel your pain mate haha.
04-18-2016, 11:05 AM   #3
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100#medical

Found on the Canadian Forces web site....

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
04-19-2016, 12:09 AM   #4
leloupaccroupi

My Support Groups:
They won't discharge you if you develop it during your service, however because you have it prior to application and recruitment, they probably won't accept you. It's not a matter of symptoms, it's that they can't guarantee that they can get your medication to you adequately whilst you're deployed. That's what they told me when I tried to join. However, if it's something you truly want to do, I wouldn't hesitate to apply and least try to enlist. What's the worst they can do? Say no?

Best of luck amigo.

Addison's since 2003
Failed Imuran: Acute Pancreatitis
Awaiting First Remicade Dosage

Amnium Vincit Omnia;
The Mind Conquers All

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Disease and The Canadian Army