Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » GI says fiber is fine if in remission?

04-18-2016, 07:15 PM   #1
KB24

GI says fiber is fine if in remission?

Wondering what your stance is on this. I really don't want to do something unsettling to myself and would like to know your experiences. My GI says once i'm in remission she encourages me to eat more fiber rather than sticking to a low residue/ low fiber diet.

Thanks.
04-18-2016, 09:01 PM   #2
Eridon2002

My Support Groups:
I'll think you'll have to experiment and see what works for your body. Keep a food diary to see how certain fibrous foods affect you. For me, I could eat 1 apple but not 2 a day. Spinach, oatmeal, carrots, zucchini, green beans no problem but beans, broccoli, onions and garlic put me in a world of hurt. Start out slow and build up the amount of fiber. If you have been on a low fiber diet for a while your gut microbes that digest fiber are not abundant and you need to slowly add the fiber to your diet and increase the number of these guys.
04-18-2016, 11:44 PM   #3
JaimeM

My Support Groups:
If I'm in remission I can pretty much eat whatever I want. Today I had honey garlic chicken with a veggie stir fry lo mein and even had sriracha on it lol I haven't even had to regret it. I'm still a little iffy on beef but for the most part I'm back to eating whatever I want
Switched to Cimzia but didn't work 2015
Back to Remicade and added Azathioprine 2016
04-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #4
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
If you can digest it, definitely do, because nothing is as good as fiber for maintaining healthy gut flora / probiotic balance.

I've found pumpkin seeds, edamame, bananas and fried platains and chickpeas very crohn's friendly.

Brown rice, beans and many legumes, nuts have not been so kind. Oats were good for a while and then they weren't.

You'll have to experiment and see what's right for you.
I'm my own guinea pig.
My log with studies, journal of my experiments:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=72046
My Blog
https://beyondtheoddsfitness.wordpress.com/
04-28-2016, 08:57 PM   #5
teeny5

My Support Groups:
I agree you will have to see what works for you. Try a little at a time. My GI recommended the same once I was in remission. I take Benefiber twice a day. I can handle one apple every once in a while, a salad once or twice a week, medium levels of fiber in cereals and breads.

Previous meds: Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Entocort.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson"
04-28-2016, 09:50 PM   #6
Lady Organic
Forum Monitor

Your GI is right.

Diet: ''IBD-AID'' : http://www.nutritionj.com/content/13/1/5+ organic food only
suppl Curcuminoid extract, Inulin,psyllium, apple pectin, Vitamin D

past meds:
pred 50mg, 5-ASA, cortifoam, Imuran (failed) Purinethol (success) methotrexate (failed CD and arthritis).
04-29-2016, 11:08 AM   #7
wildbill_52280

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthrea...ighlight=fiber
05-15-2016, 03:31 PM   #8
scl

Following my bowel resection, I remained on a low fiber diet as I thought that is what Crohn's patients required. A year ago I went on a vegan diet with my neighbor who suffers from fibromyalgia.

Within a week her pain medication was cut in half and over the course of the year nearly eliminated.

I suffered no ill effects from the high fiber and have no symptoms or clinical findings (blood, fecal, colonoscopy, etc) of Crohn's.
Currently on: No medication
Supplements: probiotic, bone health supplement, Vitamin K2, Vitamin D
05-16-2016, 02:12 AM   #9
scl

I would not recommend a vegan diet of you have evidence of stricture.
05-16-2016, 06:52 PM   #10
KB24

I would not recommend a vegan diet of you have evidence of stricture.
Scl, how would I know if I have a stricture. Should I ask my GI as I'm unaware of that.
05-16-2016, 07:57 PM   #11
scl

I didn't know I had a stricture or even Crohn's disease until I suffered an intestinal blockage. The stricture showed up on CT scan. Before the blockage that landed me in the hospital and led to my diagnosis, I had one other bout of a partial blockage. Both times I suffered severe abdominal pain. It honestly FELT like a blockage. The second time around I also started to vomit and felt truly ill. The first resolved on its own after a few hours.
05-16-2016, 08:03 PM   #12
Eridon2002

My Support Groups:
Scl, how would I know if I have a stricture. Should I ask my GI as I'm unaware of that.
Strictures are usually diagnosed via Colonoscopy, MRE, CT. When I had my stricture if I ate too much or the wrong kind of fiber I was in horrendous pain(waves of pain), nausea, heartburn. If your GI has done any of the above tests you should ask him if they show any evidence of stricturing. Remember if you've only had a colonoscopy it won't tell you if you have strictures in your small intestine.
05-17-2016, 11:48 AM   #13
KB24

Strictures are usually diagnosed via Colonoscopy, MRE, CT. When I had my stricture if I ate too much or the wrong kind of fiber I was in horrendous pain(waves of pain), nausea, heartburn. If your GI has done any of the above tests you should ask him if they show any evidence of stricturing. Remember if you've only had a colonoscopy it won't tell you if you have strictures in your small intestine.

Yes I've done a Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, as well as an MRI. Would that mean if the GI hasn't told me I don't have a stricture?
05-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #14
scl

Yes I've done a Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, as well as an MRI. Would that mean if the GI hasn't told me I don't have a stricture?
One would certainly hope.
05-17-2016, 12:05 PM   #15
KB24

One would certainly hope.
Well so what are signs, and what tests show it?
05-17-2016, 12:39 PM   #16
Eridon2002

My Support Groups:
Hi KB24, I would call up your GI and get the results of all the tests that have been run. It's always a good idea to have these. Ask them if there is any evidence of strictures or narrowing from the tests. You can always just start out slow with the fiber, see how your body reacts and then gradually increase.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » GI says fiber is fine if in remission?