Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Breakfast you all generally eat?

04-20-2016, 04:18 AM   #1
KB24

Breakfast you all generally eat?

As I'm trying to incorporate more nutritious things in my diet, im trying to avoid processed foods. With that being said what do you eat at breakfast? Any cereals? Should eggs be limited? Any suggestions? As of now I usually only eat cereal or eggs.

Thanks
04-21-2016, 12:40 AM   #2
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
I usually have gluten free muesli with natural live yoghurt and a little honey. Sometimes add blueberries, strawberries and banana.

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x
04-21-2016, 01:59 PM   #3
hcrum87hc

My Support Groups:
I typically stick with cereals or eggos. I can stomach eggs, toast, and typical breakfast fare, although I usually stray away from sausage and fatty bacon.

Officially diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in June, 2014 2 weeks before 27th birthday after ER visit due to partial blockage (stricture).

Current Meds:
Humira-40 mg every other week
Imuran-150 mg/day

Surgeries: Ileocecectomy 7/13/16 removed 60cm of small intestines.

Status: All inflamed and strictured intestines removed. All remaining intestines are currently healthy.
04-21-2016, 09:36 PM   #4
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
We have our own chickens and get eggs from them. So, I usually eat an egg for breakfast on the days I work which is 5 days a week. The other two I eat honey nut cheerios however, we're about to try one from Kashi that's supposed to be better for your heart. I do alright with either eggs or cereal.

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
04-21-2016, 10:15 PM   #5
Justanothercp

My Support Groups:
Scrambled eggs with spinach, seasoned with salt/pepper/turmeric. Yummy. Almost daily.
04-21-2016, 10:27 PM   #6
KB24

Scrambled eggs with spinach, seasoned with salt/pepper/turmeric. Yummy. Almost daily.

What has your GI or a nutritionist say about the abundance of eggs though? Any limit? like 2 each day?. Also I've heard salt and pepper can be irritating do you use regular salt and pepper, and is it fine? I have not have any issues with salt and peppers but just curious. And what brand of tumeric do you use and how much daily as I'm curious if i should take it or not.
Thanks
04-21-2016, 10:42 PM   #7
Justanothercp

My Support Groups:
GI said eggs are fine, also my cholesterol is good. I use Celtic Sea Salt, and fresh ground pepper. The turmeric is "Simply Organic", I just sprinkle it on, I tend to use more of turmeric than salt or pepper, I just like it. I use tumeric in a lot of dishes, with soups, veggies etc. I seem to tolerate all of it fine.
04-21-2016, 11:44 PM   #8
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
At one point my doctor said something to the point of being jealous because we're eating so healthy. Our eggs are all natural and during the summer/fall we have garden vegetables too.

I've never been talked to about eating too many of our eggs because the home grown egg laying chickens have less cholesterol and more omega 3 than store bought eggs because of freely running around in our backyard.

We usually eat our eggs scrambled or in a bun like as a sandwich.
04-23-2016, 01:18 PM   #9
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Cheerios through the week, usually bacon and eggs on the weekends

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
05-15-2016, 03:36 PM   #10
scl

I eat the same breakfast nearly every day. Oatmeal made from oats (not instant), with toasted nuts (pecans or walnuts), blueberries and a sliced apple banana from the trees in my yard. All organic.
Currently on: No medication
Supplements: probiotic, bone health supplement, Vitamin K2, Vitamin D
05-15-2016, 05:09 PM   #11
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Gluten free pop tarts some morning. Gluten free waffles or eggs some mornings.
05-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #12
Eridon2002

My Support Groups:
I eat a big breakfast: I have organic rolled oats(salt only), plain greek yogurt(Fage or Wallaby brand or homemade yogurt) with some fruit(usually blueberries/strawberries or kiwi), 3 eggs omelette with feta or cheddar cooked on my cast iron skillet in a little butter, and ginger tea. I've started making my oatmeal with some homemade bone broth since it is suppose to be healing for the gut. I also have a little bit of homemade kefir as well.
05-15-2016, 09:19 PM   #13
FrozenGirl

Most mornings I don't eat breakfast. If I don't have to work/school/leave the house within 3 hours i will occasionally eat breakfast, usually a bagel.
Vitamin D 1000iu
Calcium
Tecta 40mg
Remicade: 600mg, every 4 weeks
Methotrexate: 15 mg (injection)
05-16-2016, 12:45 AM   #14
wildbill_52280

oatmeal. It has lot's of soluble fiber.
05-16-2016, 03:00 AM   #15
Susan2

My Support Groups:
Biodynamic rolled oats, soaked overnight in yoghurt and water, with mashed banana and/or stewed plums. I cook my oats for quite a long time to break them down. Sometimes, for a treat, a croissant with pure creamery butter!
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.
05-16-2016, 06:23 AM   #16
Layla

My Support Groups:
I have 2 slices of homemade sourdough bread usually with ham or something else savoury as I don't like sweet things first thing in the morning. I sometimes have peanut butter as that helps to slow things down. I start the day with a heaped teaspoon of psyllium mixed with some water and have breakfast immediately after as I always wake up hungry and I just don't function on an empty stomach.

I'm lactose intolerant so that rules out yoghurt, milk and cheese and muesli and fruit contains way too much fibre, I'd never make it out of the door if I ate any of that! Luckily I like bread so am quite happy to just stick to that.
I rarely have eggs as I like them with a runny yolk and have recently become intolerant of that too. Well cooked isn't too bad but just not as nice.
Resection due to strictures in 2014
Currently taking: Remicade, amitriptyline, zinc, multi vitamin, b12 shots, Vit D, B complex, magnesium, calcium, Psyllium and the occasional iron infusion

Previously on Humira, Prednisone, Azathioprine, MTX, Pentasa, Asacol, Salofalk
05-16-2016, 11:07 AM   #17
BlackButterflies

My Support Groups:
Everyday it will be one of these three things - I sometimes repeat them in a day as well. I go with what I have found keeps my gut the most consistently happy, causes the least amount of pain and distress, and keeps the bleeding and other symptoms the most at bay.

Egg whites and plain low fiber white toast
Plain oatmeal with cinnamon
Protein isolate supplement with almond milk and lots of blended ice
Tea
05-16-2016, 08:20 PM   #18
hcrum87hc

My Support Groups:
I've started drinking an Ensure and eating one pop tart. Cereal started bothering me.

05-22-2016, 08:51 PM   #19
drewpalermo
Banned

My Support Groups:
Make mono meals your friend, specifically cooked vegetables as the main player. Next time you go to the grocery store get those 1lb bag of frozen sweet peas (nothing added to it), and cook up a bag of those (give or take). That's what I usually have for breakfast.

Skip the cereal, toast, oatmeal, or anything like that and do the peas. They would be kind of lame by themselves, so I fix the peas up with some healthy butter/duck fat/ goat butter, a cooked duck egg usually (with the yolk raw- much healthier for you!), with some baked chard/collard green chips for that crunchy texture.

I sprinkle on plenty of organic dried cilantro leaf and/or parsley leaf, dill weed, tarragon (to sponge up the fat). You can't forget the little bits of raw onion cut into it for more of that sulphur taste!

But try to stay away from any grain type of breakfast as your body's really looking to be nourished by minerals, not a food that will deplete minerals.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Breakfast you all generally eat?