• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Breakfast you all generally eat?

As I'm trying to incorporate more nutritious things in my diet, im trying to avoid processed foods. With that being said what do you eat at breakfast? Any cereals? Should eggs be limited? Any suggestions? As of now I usually only eat cereal or eggs.

Thanks

I usually have gluten free muesli with natural live yoghurt and a little honey. Sometimes add blueberries, strawberries and banana.

I typically stick with cereals or eggos. I can stomach eggs, toast, and typical breakfast fare, although I usually stray away from sausage and fatty bacon.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
We have our own chickens and get eggs from them. So, I usually eat an egg for breakfast on the days I work which is 5 days a week. The other two I eat honey nut cheerios however, we're about to try one from Kashi that's supposed to be better for your heart. I do alright with either eggs or cereal.

Scrambled eggs with spinach, seasoned with salt/pepper/turmeric. Yummy. Almost daily.

What has your GI or a nutritionist say about the abundance of eggs though? Any limit? like 2 each day?. Also I've heard salt and pepper can be irritating do you use regular salt and pepper, and is it fine? I have not have any issues with salt and peppers but just curious. And what brand of tumeric do you use and how much daily as I'm curious if i should take it or not.
Thanks

GI said eggs are fine, also my cholesterol is good. I use Celtic Sea Salt, and fresh ground pepper. The turmeric is "Simply Organic", I just sprinkle it on, I tend to use more of turmeric than salt or pepper, I just like it. I use tumeric in a lot of dishes, with soups, veggies etc. I seem to tolerate all of it fine.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
At one point my doctor said something to the point of being jealous because we're eating so healthy. Our eggs are all natural and during the summer/fall we have garden vegetables too.

I've never been talked to about eating too many of our eggs because the home grown egg laying chickens have less cholesterol and more omega 3 than store bought eggs because of freely running around in our backyard.

We usually eat our eggs scrambled or in a bun like as a sandwich.

I eat the same breakfast nearly every day. Oatmeal made from oats (not instant), with toasted nuts (pecans or walnuts), blueberries and a sliced apple banana from the trees in my yard. All organic.

I eat a big breakfast: I have organic rolled oats(salt only), plain greek yogurt(Fage or Wallaby brand or homemade yogurt) with some fruit(usually blueberries/strawberries or kiwi), 3 eggs omelette with feta or cheddar cooked on my cast iron skillet in a little butter, and ginger tea. I've started making my oatmeal with some homemade bone broth since it is suppose to be healing for the gut. I also have a little bit of homemade kefir as well.

Most mornings I don't eat breakfast. If I don't have to work/school/leave the house within 3 hours i will occasionally eat breakfast, usually a bagel.

Biodynamic rolled oats, soaked overnight in yoghurt and water, with mashed banana and/or stewed plums. I cook my oats for quite a long time to break them down. Sometimes, for a treat, a croissant with pure creamery butter!

I have 2 slices of homemade sourdough bread usually with ham or something else savoury as I don't like sweet things first thing in the morning. I sometimes have peanut butter as that helps to slow things down. I start the day with a heaped teaspoon of psyllium mixed with some water and have breakfast immediately after as I always wake up hungry and I just don't function on an empty stomach.

I'm lactose intolerant so that rules out yoghurt, milk and cheese and muesli and fruit contains way too much fibre, I'd never make it out of the door if I ate any of that! Luckily I like bread so am quite happy to just stick to that.
I rarely have eggs as I like them with a runny yolk and have recently become intolerant of that too. Well cooked isn't too bad but just not as nice.

Everyday it will be one of these three things - I sometimes repeat them in a day as well. I go with what I have found keeps my gut the most consistently happy, causes the least amount of pain and distress, and keeps the bleeding and other symptoms the most at bay.

Egg whites and plain low fiber white toast
Plain oatmeal with cinnamon
Protein isolate supplement with almond milk and lots of blended ice
Tea

Make mono meals your friend, specifically cooked vegetables as the main player. Next time you go to the grocery store get those 1lb bag of frozen sweet peas (nothing added to it), and cook up a bag of those (give or take). That's what I usually have for breakfast.

Skip the cereal, toast, oatmeal, or anything like that and do the peas. They would be kind of lame by themselves, so I fix the peas up with some healthy butter/duck fat/ goat butter, a cooked duck egg usually (with the yolk raw- much healthier for you!), with some baked chard/collard green chips for that crunchy texture.

I sprinkle on plenty of organic dried cilantro leaf and/or parsley leaf, dill weed, tarragon (to sponge up the fat). You can't forget the little bits of raw onion cut into it for more of that sulphur taste!

But try to stay away from any grain type of breakfast as your body's really looking to be nourished by minerals, not a food that will deplete minerals.