• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hard time...

I'm having a hard time "staying positive" right now. My general practitioner Doctor treated my recent flare with Budesonide and now, a week after tapering off I am flaring again. I'm upset and cannot get in to a GI for 4 months because I'm a new patient. Feeling small and looking for support. I have some family and a fiancé but no friends that I can talk to about it...

Feeling small is something I excel. Also, my family/friends situation is similar to yours. If you feel you don't have enough people that you can talk to about your condition, it may be worthwhile to seek for a good therapist.

A return of a flare up after tapering off steroids is, how sad, very common. This usually indicates the need for maintenance drugs, either immunomodulators or biological (or a combo).

Since it's going to take time until you see the GI, I suggest you contact your GP ASAP. He might bridge this time with another round of bodisone or have other suggestions...

Feel well and keep us posted.

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't on maintenance for a year due to a bad reaction to Remicade and an ironic period of remission. Well, due to heavy stress I flared up. I'm afraid to do another round of Budesonide, but I suppose I don't have a choice....
I do have a therapist. Perhaps more regular meetings are in store.

Do you all have "special" coping techniques? Or just anything you do to self-soothe?

How long were you on Budesonide? Did you do a slow taper? You may need to go back on it till you can get a new maintenance med

That's an awful short round of Entocort. I'd see about getting a refill. I've been on it since January while I start up Imuran. I just started my taper 2 weeks ago. I was at 9mg, now 6mg for a month and 3mg for a month.

Well wow, the more you know! Haha. I've got an appointment next week so we shall see! Wish me luck ( and some weight gain!) I'm down to 113 lbs which is too low at 5'7"

Thanks for your advice!!

Hi Princess,

I am sorry for having such a hard time. I am on steroids right now. Prednisone. 40mg for ten days, 30mgs for ten,20mg for ten. then down to ten. I feel ok right now, but, as soon as I come off the meds it will flare right back up!

If I could just teach my Dr, a low dose and a slow tapper is so much better. At one point he told my my CD was steroid dependent. Not sure what all that means, but thats the deal.

The great thing about this forum? !- someone is always awake and on here, 21 we are all hungry for info, which means we are good about sharing it. 3- we look out for each other, always ready with a hug or a high 5. 4- it feels good when we are able to help someone else out!

Not many of us know someone close to us with CD. We have a hard time understanding the disease, so we know this around us do to.

Whenever you are struggling, log on and get some help!

I am sorry your having such a hard time right now!

Will do what I an to help wth info or understanding. Venting helps!

Lauren

Thanks! I think I'm going to try to be more of my own nurse and really pay attention to how things work for ME. I'm still learning how to be a human being ( just turned 25) let alone manage illnesses... I just put too much pressure on myself

Hi Princess,

I am sorry for having such a hard time. I am on steroids right now. Prednisone. 40mg for ten days, 30mgs for ten,20mg for ten. then down to ten. I feel ok right now, but, as soon as I come off the meds it will flare right back up!

If I could just teach my Dr, a low dose and a slow tapper is so much better. At one point he told my my CD was steroid dependent. Not sure what all that means, but thats the deal.

The great thing about this forum? !- someone is always awake and on here, 21 we are all hungry for info, which means we are good about sharing it. 3- we look out for each other, always ready with a hug or a high 5. 4- it feels good when we are able to help someone else out!

Not many of us know someone close to us with CD. We have a hard time understanding the disease, so we know this around us do to.

Whenever you are struggling, log on and get some help!

I am sorry your having such a hard time right now!

Will do what I an to help wth info or understanding. Venting helps!

Lauren
I was diagnosed with Crohn's twenty six years ago and still learning.