• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Antibiotic question

So my ped wants to give son 10 day course of amoxicillin for a sinus infection. Is there typically a type of antibiotic that is better for Crohns kids? Would a 3 or 5 day pack be better? I haven't started the amoxicillin yet and thinking I may call dr later to ask...I hate that it's 10 days, seems so long. Would much rather a quick z pack and be done....

my little penguin

Staff member
Your child's doctor prescribed the med because the benefit outweighed the risk
Abx are antibiotics regardless
One is not better than the other
Infections of any source are not good for crohns kids
Zpack are shorter but affect the system just as long
Amoxicillin is a much milder abx than a strong zpack
Zpack causes abdominal pain and diarrhea in normal kids
Some times is used for delayed gastric emptying since it cause the stomach to contract so much
Amoxicillin is not used for that

Ds was on erythromycin for months for GP
No issues with C Diff

Tesscorm

Staff member
S is older (and bigger) so not sure if it would make a difference but he's been on antibiotics a number a times (quite a few times in the last year) and has never had an issue.

I know many here who take probiotics at the same time and this is supposed to help. (But, I've never done this - didn't have chance to ask dr and S was away at school so I had limited control... :) )

Trysha

Staff member
I have found taking probiotics as well as diluted Roses lime juice is very helpful in dealing with antibiotic associated diarrhoea and reduces the side effects.
It is important to follow the prescribed antibiotics for the full course.
Trysha

Maya142

Staff member
My kiddo has had several sinus infections since she's been on biologics. She just had one this winter and ended up needing a Z-pack (5 days) and then Amoxicillin (10 days or so) to get rid of it.

She had a harder time with the Z-pack - 5 days of diarrhea and belly pain - but did fine with the Amoxicillin. She's gotten CDiff before so every time she is on abx I worry, but she was fine!

I just started amoxicillin for a sinus infection, and I am terrible on any other meds. Took benadryl and psedofed for a few day before object to the doc and had blood bc it was too many other meds. I'm kinda worried about taking an antibiotic, I have had bad luck with them in the past. But I was told a z-pack may not knock it out and then I would have to take more. So I am taking my probiotic with my antibiotic to keep it under wraps. Hopefully it works. Been taking the antibiotics for 2 days now but I still have a ton of pain in my face, but can't take any pain meds bc they will further upset my stomach. Bah. I don't like being sick.

I just started amoxicillin for a sinus infection, and I am terrible on any other meds. Took benadryl and psedofed for a few day before object to the doc and had blood bc it was too many other meds. I'm kinda worried about taking an antibiotic, I have had bad luck with them in the past. But I was told a z-pack may not knock it out and then I would have to take more. So I am taking my probiotic with my antibiotic to keep it under wraps. Hopefully it works. Been taking the antibiotics for 2 days now but I still have a ton of pain in my face, but can't take any pain meds bc they will further upset my stomach. Bah. I don't like being sick.
**took benadryl and Sudafed for a few days before I went to the doc and ended up having blood bc I was taking too many meds. Man my brain isn't even working all that well right now. Sorry for the typos.

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
Worried Mama, 5 day courses frequently fail with sinus infections and amoxicillin is much gentler than most other antibiotics.