• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

No pain with bleeding?

I was diagnosed last year in March 2015. I had a very bloody stool when I passed out and was taken to the hospital. I had a colonoscopy and the GI diagnosed me with mild Crohn's with around 2 cm of inflammation. I was put on Entocort for 3 months and had a CT scan after which confirmed the inflammation was gone. My GI told me my case was so mild he didn't think I needed a maintenance drug.

More recently, this Saturday I passed out after having two bloody stools. I was given a blood transfusion and put back on Entocort for the next 3 months.

It has been over a year since the last flare and I'm going to be honest and admit that I didn't change my diet at all during that year. I'm a college student and I was very much in denial and ate basically anything. He believes popcorn caused the flare which confuses me since I ate popcorn and a lot of other junk over the course of the year.

I'm concerned because I've never felt even mild stomach cramps from Crohn's. I don't have the typical symptoms of weight loss, constant bowel movements, or rectal pain. I want to be able to notice if I'm flaring and adjust my diet accordingly but I feel nothing! Is it normal to be generally asymptomatic until I literally pass out?

Is there anyway you can get a second opinion. I highly doubt the popcorn caused that episode of bleeding, especially if you have been eating it all along with no issues. Food does not cause Crohn's per say, but certain foods can cause the immune system to react( foods with preservatives, non-organic foods and veggies that contain pesticides, GMO's etc..). With the blood loss your talking( needing a blood transfusion) I think your doctor should be looking into possibly other causes. Do you you have hemorrhoids? If you have one and it breaks open it can cause a lot of blood loss because it is a vein. I mean you must have been bleeding quite a lot to require a blood transfusion. I know I have some menstrual cycles where I can bleed heavier and It still would take a lot of blood loss to require a blood transfusion. Maybe you should get a second opinion. Sorry you are dealing with this.

I was diagnosed last year in March 2015. I had a very bloody stool when I passed out and was taken to the hospital. I had a colonoscopy and the GI diagnosed me with mild Crohn's with around 2 cm of inflammation. I was put on Entocort for 3 months and had a CT scan after which confirmed the inflammation was gone. My GI told me my case was so mild he didn't think I needed a maintenance drug.

More recently, this Saturday I passed out after having two bloody stools. I was given a blood transfusion and put back on Entocort for the next 3 months.

It has been over a year since the last flare and I'm going to be honest and admit that I didn't change my diet at all during that year. I'm a college student and I was very much in denial and ate basically anything. He believes popcorn caused the flare which confuses me since I ate popcorn and a lot of other junk over the course of the year.

I'm concerned because I've never felt even mild stomach cramps from Crohn's. I don't have the typical symptoms of weight loss, constant bowel movements, or rectal pain. I want to be able to notice if I'm flaring and adjust my diet accordingly but I feel nothing! Is it normal to be generally asymptomatic until I literally pass out?

Is there anyway you can get a second opinion. I highly doubt the popcorn caused that episode of bleeding, especially if you have been eating it all along with no issues. Food does not cause Crohn's per say, but certain foods can cause the immune system to react( foods with preservatives, non-organic foods and veggies that contain pesticides, GMO's etc..). With the blood loss your talking( needing a blood transfusion) I think your doctor should be looking into possibly other causes. Do you you have hemorrhoids? If you have one and it breaks open it can cause a lot of blood loss because it is a vein. I mean you must have been bleeding quite a lot to require a blood transfusion. I know I have some menstrual cycles where I can bleed heavier and It still would take a lot of blood loss to require a blood transfusion. Maybe you should get a second opinion. Sorry you are dealing with this.
I agree that it sounds a little sketchy. My GI and my parents are trying to blame the bleeding on popcorn that I ate at the movies the night before but it doesn't sound right to me since I ate the popcorn on Friday night and woke up bleeding and dizzy at 10 am Saturday morning. My tummy was definitely gurgling after the movie but the fact that I lost so much blood so quickly makes me think it was happening for awhile. Which again, doesn't make any sense since I was running around at full energy with no symptoms days before...

I have a colonoscopy scheduled in a few weeks so hopefully that clears up the sudden cause of the inflammation. Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely seek a second opinion if my GI tries to tell me the popcorn was the cause after the colonoscopy!

The inflammation cand simmer for some time without symptoms. Food don't cause crohns but aggravate areas that are inflamed.

You could have been asymptomatic with simmering inflammation for some time and then foods like seeds popcorn husks and the like get caught in the inflamed area(ulceration, fissure ng, etc).

Hopefully, the colonoscopy will give you more answers.

My son is completely asymptomatic as far as pain diarrhea, constipation, cramping or bleeding yet at this time he is anemic because there is active inflammation in his bowels.

Good luck hope you get answers soon.