• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I just found out that I possibly have cancer instead.

Hi guys,

I'm only posting this on this forum because I just found out that I have a 5mm nodule on my right lower lung. I am freaking out. Please forgive me that this is not actually Crohn's. I'm so sorry.

I thought that I had Crohn's. My doctors thought that I had Crohn's. I was admitted to the emergency room in the beginning of April with terrible abdominal pain. I had a CT scan and an ultrasound It turned out to be mesenteric adenitis. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy in the middle of April which showed that I definitely did not have Crohn's. My lymph nodes ALL OVER my body have been up for 3 months now. I have been in pain every day, and have been finding myself get worse and worse with every day. I am so fatigued.

I'm seeing the gastroenterologist on Wednesday, so I asked my GP to email me the report from the hospital so that I can give it to her and she can work out what's actually wrong with me. I open up the email, and I read the report. NO BODY AT THE HOSPITAL TOOK IT UPON THEMSELVES TO TELL ME THAT I HAVE A 5MM NODULE ON MY LUNG. I literally just found out. Why did no one tell me? Why???? I have been in so much pain with no answer as to what is wrong with me. Now I know. I am so upset. I have no idea what to do.

I don't smoke. I don't drink. I don't do anything. I have no idea why this is happening to me.

Thanks ronroush7 for the prayers, I really appreciate it.

In response to Jennifer: I have had a tumour in my left hand that I told was 'nothing to worry about' for almost a decade. A year ago it started getting bigger. Around the same time as the tumour started getting bigger, another one started forming in my right hand. It has been forming much quicker than it took for the other one to get to the size that it is now. I asked my doctors multiple times if it could be related and they all thought that it couldn't be because my blood tests and x-rays around the same time were all showing me that I didn't have any indication of anything else in my body. Over the last year I was developing (what looked at the time like) asthma. Ventolins weren't working, neither was Spiriva. As the temperature (I live in Australia and it is autumn right now. It is 7 degrees where I live at the moment) dropped it got easier to deal with so I ignored it because of everything else I was going through.

When all of the recent stuff started, it made sense to my doctors to think that there was something really wrong with my digestive tract rather than think of it as a symptom of something. I kept asking if any of this could possibly be anything malicious such as sarcoidosis or cancer. They kept telling me no. Finding out about the nodule on my lung was an accident because a portion of my lung happened to show up in the CT scan I had at the hospital.

I had a chest x-ray in 2014 because I had pinched a nerve in my neck, and it showed that there was nothing at all wrong with my lungs. Less than two years later I have a 5mm growth. All my lymph nodes are up in my chest, abdomen, neck, thighs, arms, groin, and underarms. There are also some lumps in my lower abdomen that didn't feel right to me and I just kind of pushed it to the back of my mind, trying not to worry until I found out today about the nodule in my lower lung.

I am very scared because if it is sarcoidosis I will probably have it for the rest of my life because of the length of time that it has taken to figure out what is wrong. If it is cancer, I am scared because lung cancer is the biggest killer of all cancers, and it only has a %20 survival rate apparently.

fuzzy butterfly

Hi I am so sorry you are going through all this. I also send prayers for you. Hoping that it is not cancer and is beingn, as Jennifer says it could well be. Very best wishes to you :hug:

Poor you, the worry must be awful - many of us with Crohns have gone through the fear that we might have cancer and of course have an increased risk of colon cancer so I understand the dread you must be feeling. I remember the shock of being told there was a mass in my abdomen (this, thankfully, turned out not to be cancer). I very much hope that you get answers very soon and that your symptoms turn out to be benign.

Poor you, the worry must be awful - many of us with Crohns have gone through the fear that we might have cancer and of course have an increased risk of colon cancer so I understand the dread you must be feeling. I remember the shock of being told there was a mass in my abdomen (this, thankfully, turned out not to be cancer). I very much hope that you get answers very soon and that your symptoms turn out to be benign.
I agree.