Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » How long for this to heal if it's going to heal?

05-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
How long for this to heal if it's going to heal?

Hi all,

Do you know how long it would take for narrowing/anastomotic stricture at the terminal ileum to heal on azathioprine? I started on 6th April 25mg for a week then moved up to 50mg but still having symptoms (wind and cramps). Wondering if/when this will get better without surgical intervention.

2nd Generation affected

Symptoms since 2006 (age 17)

Emergency open bowel resection after perforation in 2011 (age 22) (wrongly diagnosed as burst appendix ). Three years remission following this unmonitored

DX with perforating small bowel Crohn's Disease 01/2016 (terminal ileum, duodenum) and coeliac disease (age 26)

Meds:
75mg azathioprine
Gluten-free diet
05-18-2016, 07:45 AM   #2
Clash
Forum Monitor

If the stricturing is due to inflammation then I would think you are waiting for the med to reach therapeutic levels. I think azathioprine takes 3 to 4 months to reach full efficacy. That is not to say that it may not start helping before then.

Good luck I hope everything improves quickly.
dx March 2012 CD

CURRENT MEDS: MTX injections, Stelara

Dx May 2014: JSpA
8/2014 ileocecectomy
9/2017 G tube

PAST MEDS: remicade, oral mtx, humira
05-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #3
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
I know there was inflammation (ulcers etc) seen during colonoscopy. I don't know if there is scar tissue as well. CT scan was normal and because of this GI won't do MRE scan. We are taking a "wait and see" approach
05-24-2016, 10:20 AM   #4
hcrum87hc

My Support Groups:
It usually takes a few months for Aza to really become effective. I learned this the hard way. My doctor didn't tell me that, and I started tapering off Entocort as soon as I started Aza, which led to a flare. Give it at least 3 months. My doctor slowly increased my dosage as my blood tests came back.

Officially diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in June, 2014 2 weeks before 27th birthday after ER visit due to partial blockage (stricture).

Current Meds:
Humira-40 mg every other week
Imuran-150 mg/day

Surgeries: Ileocecectomy 7/13/16 removed 60cm of small intestines.

Status: All inflamed and strictured intestines removed. All remaining intestines are currently healthy.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » How long for this to heal if it's going to heal?