Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » How long for this to heal if it's going to heal?

05-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
How long for this to heal if it's going to heal?

Hi all,

Do you know how long it would take for narrowing/anastomotic stricture at the terminal ileum to heal on azathioprine? I started on 6th April 25mg for a week then moved up to 50mg but still having symptoms (wind and cramps). Wondering if/when this will get better without surgical intervention.

History:
2nd Generation affected

Symptoms since 08/2006 (age 17)

Emergency open bowel resection after perforation in 12/2011 (age 22) (wrongly diagnosed as burst appendix ). Three years remission following this unmonitored

Diagnosis:
Perforating small bowel Crohn's Disease 01/2016 (terminal ileum, duodenum)
Coeliac disease (age 26)

Meds:
50mg azathioprine (down from 75mg after my WBC dropped)
Gluten-free diet
05-18-2016, 07:45 AM   #2
Clash
Forum Monitor

If the stricturing is due to inflammation then I would think you are waiting for the med to reach therapeutic levels. I think azathioprine takes 3 to 4 months to reach full efficacy. That is not to say that it may not start helping before then.

Good luck I hope everything improves quickly.
dx March 2012 CD

CURRENT MEDS: MTX injections, Stelara

Dx May 2014: JSpA
8/2014 ileocecectomy
9/2017 G tube

PAST MEDS: remicade, oral mtx, humira
05-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #3
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
I know there was inflammation (ulcers etc) seen during colonoscopy. I don't know if there is scar tissue as well. CT scan was normal and because of this GI won't do MRE scan. We are taking a "wait and see" approach
05-24-2016, 10:20 AM   #4
hcrum87hc

My Support Groups:
It usually takes a few months for Aza to really become effective. I learned this the hard way. My doctor didn't tell me that, and I started tapering off Entocort as soon as I started Aza, which led to a flare. Give it at least 3 months. My doctor slowly increased my dosage as my blood tests came back.

Officially diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in June, 2014 2 weeks before 27th birthday after ER visit due to partial blockage (stricture).

Current Meds:
Humira-40 mg every other week
Imuran-150 mg/day

Surgeries: Ileocecectomy 7/13/16 removed 60cm of small intestines.

Status: All inflamed and strictured intestines removed. All remaining intestines are currently healthy.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » How long for this to heal if it's going to heal?