Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Disibility info

05-19-2016, 08:18 PM   #1
superdad

Disibility info

I am meeting with a disability lawyer tomorrow morning, where I live it is a long road to get on it. I have heard it could take up to 2 years!! but I am hoping with all my medical issues I get on in 3-6 months.

I was diagnosed when I was 15, small bowel resection when I was 16, tried all types of meds, was on prednisone for 20 years which caused osteopenia. Last surgery was 2007 another resection, now I am on humira. I have lost 60lbs in 6 months, my esoaghus is inflamed due to acid reflux, and I am anemic. Might have to have a stoma and bag but doc wont know until she does the surgery.

I am having surgery on 6/13 to have a foot of my small bowel taken and colon. I am on short term disability from work and I don't plan on returning to work any time soon.

Any words of hope this process goes fast? I am so sick of being tired, in pain and winded when ever I walk and try to keep up with my 10 year old daughter.
05-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #2
Salad_Shooter

I got on disability within a month. It was difficult to do, and I did it without an attorney. I wish you the very best.
Lupus
RA
Sjogren's
COPD
Spinal Stenosis cervical (with spinal cord flattening)
Spinal Stenosis lumbar
Severe Pulmonary Hypertension
Right heart failure
05-19-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
superdad

I wish I could do it with out an atty, 99% of the people that apply on their own are rejected and have to either do all the leg work or hire an atty to do it. I am not up for the fight of doing it alone.
05-19-2016, 08:54 PM   #4
Salad_Shooter

I was blessed in that my GI went to the same church as the person who was going to make the decision about my disability. Plus, I had advocates in administration in the hospital where I was working who took it upon themselves to take on SS on my behalf. I, too, was too sick to do it on my own. So yeah, I was blessed.
05-21-2016, 02:05 AM   #5
Jennifer
Adminstrator

You may want to check out this support group on the forum where other members are receiving SSI/SSDI and those who have applied and are still waiting. http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=51690

Good luck!
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Disibility info