• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Where to start?

Recently diagnosed and not sure where to start diet wise. I see all kinds of conflicting information. Some say it's not triggered by food, some say it is, some say not to eat fruits or raw veggies and others say to eat it lol. I'm just confused. I see some on gluten free or paleo. Where did you start?

Recently diagnosed and not sure where to start diet wise. I see all kinds of conflicting information. Some say it's not triggered by food, some say it is, some say not to eat fruits or raw veggies and others say to eat it lol. I'm just confused. I see some on gluten free or paleo. Where did you start?
Hello, been dealing with crohns for 30 years and I found if I stay away from foods that are hard to digest works best. Nuts, too much salad, the skin on apples, oranges, beer, soda, spicy foods...don't eat. If your in a flare up try clear liquid diet. Soups, Popsicles, ice cream. If your over your flare up try chicken, turkey, fish and really chew your good! And try to eat smaller portions. Hope this helps!

Hello, been dealing with crohns for 30 years and I found if I stay away from foods that are hard to digest works best. Nuts, too much salad, the skin on apples, oranges, beer, soda, spicy foods...don't eat. If your in a flare up try clear liquid diet. Soups, Popsicles, ice cream. If your over your flare up try chicken, turkey, fish and really chew your good! And try to eat smaller portions. Hope this helps!
Thanks! What about fruits and veggies? I've seen where some say it's ok and others say to steer clear? And how do I know which foods are hard to digest? Just look it up? Or is it a certain type of food? Like I've heard some say food high in fibers hard to digest?

Everyone is different but bananas are the only fruit I can digest. I have to have veggies well cooked or it bothers my stomach. I have a nutritionist who says sometimes you can do all the right things and still have trouble with your Crohns.

Thanks! What about fruits and veggies? I've seen where some say it's ok and others say to steer clear? And how do I know which foods are hard to digest? Just look it up? Or is it a certain type of food? Like I've heard some say food high in fibers hard to digest?
The softer the fruit and vegetables the better. Steam your veggies. Foods that are hard to digest are hard to begin with. Nuts, popcorn, carrots. The skin on apples, the fibors of an orange and red meat. These are a few that I can think of. Keep a diary of what you eat and eat the same things over a week. If Any food triggers
a flare up then eliminate that food or those foods. Hope this helps.

I agree! I had recently had a CT scan that more or less less diagnosed me Crohn's with my symptoms (I have a colonoscopy coming up) but the most difficult part right now is coming to terms with the fact that that I will just have to figure out my triggers. I was in horrible pain the last two weeks and was given low grade narcs to help, but I start nursing school in August and I just hope for some kind of answer by then. Thanks for letting me vent!

To echo as others have mentioned, everyone seems to be different with how one deals with diet. Everyone has different trigger foods it seems. Diet helps some, and not others.

For me and my type of colitis, I've found relief by avoiding a number of foods and chemicals, which include most grains (rice is OK with me), synthetic vitamins, and legumes such as alfalfa and soy. There are a few other foods being avoided unintentionally, so I'm keeping a food journal of how I'm doing and when new foods are added to the diet.

I'm not only avoiding the potential offending foods in my diet, but also avoiding animals meats were the feed stock had one or more of the trigger foods in it. If the chicken or cow had been fed soy meal or alfalfa, I'll avoid it.

So far so good with this diet idea. I'm well to the gut. The big missing part is greater energy. I can become tired out to easily still. I'm hoping with time that will improve.