Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » What am I doing wrong? All food makes me bloat

06-13-2016, 09:27 AM   #1
Misslindsey

What am I doing wrong? All food makes me bloat

I know that high fiber makes me bloat BIG TIME. I'm a thin(ner) person and if I have quinoa I look like I'm 2-3 months preggo. And in excruciating pain.

But lately, all food I eat makes me bloat afterwards. My boyfriend recommended probiotics. I have my next gastro appt in July but I'm impatient. Fruit and veggies are often a risk for pain, but usually don't give me pain(bananas do, and don't get me started on celery).

I've gained a substantial amount of weight due to a few reasons(recent dx of hypothyroidism, not very active). But my diet is not bad. I eat healthily. I am CONSTANTLY walking as I work in retail.

So, what diets can you guys recommend? I'd like to try vegetarianism but the whole fruit, veggies, grain pain. Are probiotics helpful? And yes I am being more active now. Thank you in advance!
06-13-2016, 09:57 AM   #2
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Try digestive enzymes and pancreatin.
I'm my own guinea pig.
My log with studies, journal of my experiments:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=72046
My Blog
https://beyondtheoddsfitness.wordpress.com/
06-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #3
Magnolia24

My Support Groups:
I used to experience a lot of bloating when I still had Crohn's symptoms, and the Specific Carbohydrate Diet totally changed everything for me. I imagine it would be very hard to do as a vegetarian however. SCD starts with an elimination diet, then adds more foods back in. So after time, many foods that seemed triggering like fruits and vegetables can actually be tolerated because of the healing that has occurred.
Check out http://scdlifestyle.com/ if you're interested!
06-13-2016, 11:46 AM   #4
scottsma

My Support Groups:
I use a good quality digestive enzyme as InstantCoffee advised.I also use probiotics.
But I'm afraid it's all trial and error.We're all different,and what works for some,does nothing for others.It's also time consuming and can be expensive.Good Luck.
06-13-2016, 12:11 PM   #5
wildbill_52280

raw veggies are typically hard to digest, go for cooked well/soft. And yes I will agree most fruits have sugar in them and increase pain and symptoms, some fruits I found are easier to tolerate then others cranberries and apples I believe are the easiest to tolerate while grapes and bananas have more sugar. While these tips are helpful we still need some fruit in our diet at least 1-2x a week ideally everyday though. and use meds to decrease symptoms allowing the better tolerance of problem foods. Trying to control all your symptoms with diet will probably only work for extremely mild cases but any from of IBD is severe and should use some form of meds at all times.
06-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #6
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sometimes I feel like no matter what I eat my stomach gives me problems
06-14-2016, 08:59 AM   #7
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
raw veggies are typically hard to digest, go for cooked well/soft. And yes I will agree most fruits have sugar in them and increase pain and symptoms, some fruits I found are easier to tolerate then others cranberries and apples I believe are the easiest to tolerate while grapes and bananas have more sugar. While these tips are helpful we still need some fruit in our diet at least 1-2x a week ideally everyday though. and use meds to decrease symptoms allowing the better tolerance of problem foods. Trying to control all your symptoms with diet will probably only work for extremely mild cases but any from of IBD is severe and should use some form of meds at all times.
Results may vary but I think a lot of sugar in fruit is related to the glucose-fructose balance. Many people are fructose intolerant, and fructose needs to be refined by (I could be wrong) the liver to convert into glucose, while glucose is readily bioavailable by the body. Glucose helps the absorption of fructose.

I'm actually the opposite of you however and bananas are fine but apples give me terribly painful cramps.

Some people might have issues with bananas depending on the ripeness. The more ripe they are, the less resistant fibers in it.

I can do most berries, melons, grapes and bananas, but I can't touch apples and pears. I'm not sure about peaches, plums and dates.

I wish I had a better explanation because neither fiber nor sugar seems to work for me.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » What am I doing wrong? All food makes me bloat