• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Weight gain from Budesonide

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis weeks ago, however once I began treatment I gained 10+ pounds. The symptoms have not reduced enough, compared to the side effects. I work out every night, but then I am so hungry. I have very little to choose from, because I am lactose intolerant, allergic to enriched products, and can not tolerate raw vegetables!!!!! I am so sad.

Please help

Good Day Kroberts,
Sorry you need to join us.
You have joined a warm & informed community!

It'd be nuts for me to make any comment on your situation with so little info.
I would not be comfortable prying for more info.
I just wanted to say that there is a spectrum of disease symptoms.
It is not a toggle that meds are working or they are not.

Perhaps the drugs are helping to some degree?
If digestion is working better, nutrition absorbed with be better.
For many of us, through different chapters of IBD sometimes we gain weight we "needed".
Healthier can mean heavier for some.

What you put in your mouth is merely eating. Illusion!
Nutrient absorption is effective nutrition. - horsepower at the wheel

In time, you will find more than just "little to choose from".
leave no stone unturned in your quest for better health.
Your mileage may vary,
peace
w

ps
many phases of chronic illness involve sadness.
I try to feel the blues, without getting stuck in them.
one must feel them then move through them
Good Luck!
: D

Do you mean that you have Crohns Colitis? I don't think one can have both Crohns and Colitis. I am sorry you have thus. Also, maybe you could talk to your doctor about what is going on. Maybe, he or she could switch medicines.

Welcome to the forum, but sorry you had to find us. It is quite normal to gain weight with steroids. I gained much more than 10 lbs on Prednisone. Try not to worry about it now. You need to get into remission first. Has your doctor discussed what other medications he will be adding? btw I spent the last year losing the weight I had put on, now that I'm feeling better. Hang in there.