• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Here, Looking Forward To All Your Input

Hi everyone, this is the first time I've actually posted on one of these forums and unfortunately, it is because I have had my worst flare since being diagnosed with ulcerative colitis back in 2014. I was originally prescribed asacol upon diagnosis, but due to budgetary reasons I have since switched to balsalazide for the last 18+ months, which has worked just fine for me up until the past two months. Over the past two months, I have been running to the bathroom 8-12 times a day, with usually four of those instances occurring at night as I am trying to sleep. With that being the case, I have only been able to get about two hour sleeping intervals in which I am waking up, using the restroom, then settling myself back down to sleep for another few hours before I know I'll be up again. My UC has never effected me this much before outside of the initial onset of symptoms before I saw my doctor. I recently saw the doc and he prescribed prednisone, which helped the first day or two but since have waned in their effectiveness. I see him again in a week, but I am really struggling as I have really knocked my diet down to the basic foods that I have historically (over the past two years) found to not give me any issue, but still no luck. I haven't gotten much sleep over the last few months, so I figured I'd give the forum a try since I'm up through the night anyway! I know we all react differently to this disease, but I'm looking forward to getting some insight from all of you to get this thing back under control and back to my normal life!

Welcome. I am sorry for all you are going through. You have found a good place to come to. Ask your doctor but I wonder if s biologic in combination with the prednisone would help your situation. Please keep us updated on how you are doing.