• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Vitamin D

My son is due for his routine, monthly bloodwork and this time his doctor wants to check his Vitamin D level...He was diagnosed a year ago, why do you think he is now checking this?

Tesscorm

Staff member
I don't know the specifics but I do know there is a connection between the immune system and vitamin D. Also, while it may be 'circumstantial' evidence, populations with low levels of vitamin D (ie areas that receive less sun) tend to have higher rates of crohns.

My son's vitamin D level is regularly checked (can't remember how often) and he takes a vitamin D supplement.

It's probably just a routine check. My daughter's doctor checks vitamin D every 6 months, along with vitamin B-12 and folate. A nutrient deficiency could be a sign of intestinal inflammation, or it could just mean that supplementation is needed.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Recent in more recent years has pointed to a link between Vitamin D and the immune system and conversely the correlation the effect that Vitamin D deficiency plays in autoimmune disease. This is but one such study:

Vitamin D has important functions beyond those of calcium and bone homeostasis which include modulation of the innate and adaptive immune responses. Vitamin D deficiency is prevalent in autoimmune disease. Cells of the immune system are capable of synthesizing and responding to vitamin D. Immune cells in autoimmune diseases are responsive to the ameliorative effects of vitamin D suggesting that the beneficial effects of supplementing vitamin D deficient individuals with autoimmune disease may extend beyond effects on bone and calcium homeostasis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3166406/
I couldn’t say why the doc has decided to check now but it is very normal for those with Crohn’s to be routinely screened for Vitamin D levels. My two supplement with Vitamin D.

Deficiency is not uncommon for those living in northern climates and for those with fair skin living in areas with ample sunshine but find the need ‘cover up’ to avoid sunburn. Also those whose religions necessitate the need to dress modestly and cover their arms, legs, etc will likely find that they too are Vit D deficient.