Share Facebook

08-16-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
lcpalmer

Vitamin D

My son is due for his routine, monthly bloodwork and this time his doctor wants to check his Vitamin D level...He was diagnosed a year ago, why do you think he is now checking this?
08-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #2
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
I don't know the specifics but I do know there is a connection between the immune system and vitamin D. Also, while it may be 'circumstantial' evidence, populations with low levels of vitamin D (ie areas that receive less sun) tend to have higher rates of crohns.

My son's vitamin D level is regularly checked (can't remember how often) and he takes a vitamin D supplement.

Treatment:
May-July 2011 - 6 wks Exclusive EN via NG tube - 2000 ml/night, 1 wk IV Flagyl
July 2011-July 2013 - Supplemental EN via NG, 1000 ml/night, 5 nites/wk, Nexium, 40 mg
Feb. 2013-present - Remicade, 5 mg/kg every 6 wks
Supplements: 1-2 Boost shakes, D3 - 2000 IUs, Krill Oil
08-16-2016, 02:11 PM   #3
pdx

My Support Groups:
It's probably just a routine check. My daughter's doctor checks vitamin D every 6 months, along with vitamin B-12 and folate. A nutrient deficiency could be a sign of intestinal inflammation, or it could just mean that supplementation is needed.

Current treatment:

Remicade started 12/24/14 (currently on 9 mg/kg every 6 weeks)
Oral methotrexate restarted 12/2/16 (15 mg weekly)
vitamin D, folic acid, multivitamin, Prozac

Past Treatment
90% EN via NG tube 2/9/15 - 4/2/15
50% EN via NG tube 4/3/15 - 4/18/15
Supplemental EN via NG tube 5/7/15-6/19/15
Budesonide 3/3/15-6/30/15
Oral methotrexate 3/13/15 - 5/14/16 (15 mg weekly)
Topical clobetasol for Remicade-induced psoriasis
08-16-2016, 04:08 PM   #4
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Recent in more recent years has pointed to a link between Vitamin D and the immune system and conversely the correlation the effect that Vitamin D deficiency plays in autoimmune disease. This is but one such study:

Vitamin D has important functions beyond those of calcium and bone homeostasis which include modulation of the innate and adaptive immune responses. Vitamin D deficiency is prevalent in autoimmune disease. Cells of the immune system are capable of synthesizing and responding to vitamin D. Immune cells in autoimmune diseases are responsive to the ameliorative effects of vitamin D suggesting that the beneficial effects of supplementing vitamin D deficient individuals with autoimmune disease may extend beyond effects on bone and calcium homeostasis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3166406/
I couldn’t say why the doc has decided to check now but it is very normal for those with Crohn’s to be routinely screened for Vitamin D levels. My two supplement with Vitamin D.

Deficiency is not uncommon for those living in northern climates and for those with fair skin living in areas with ample sunshine but find the need ‘cover up’ to avoid sunburn. Also those whose religions necessitate the need to dress modestly and cover their arms, legs, etc will likely find that they too are Vit D deficient.