Share Facebook

08-18-2016, 01:46 AM   #1
Natasha25

Uc and colds

Just wondering if a cold can make uc diarrhea worst. New at this its my first cold since being diagnosed.

Thanks
08-18-2016, 07:52 AM   #2
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
We have found with Ds crohns that his body works very hard to keep things stable
So when an "extra " thing is added the body has too many things on its "to do list" so the Ibd tends to get worse briefly
08-19-2016, 04:19 PM   #3
jwfoise

I can't prove anything, but I've noticed sometimes that my UC is worse when I have a cold. One of my big triggers is stress, so I wonder if that is part of it. I also wonder if my immune system ramping up to fight the cold also is part of it.

I've also noticed that when my allergies are bad, and I have a lot of post-nasal drip, that I think all that stuff going down my throat upsets my GI tract (like right at the moment - the ragweed is bad today).
08-20-2016, 07:37 AM   #4
Natasha25

Thank you so much for your replies. It's confusing at the moment because I've just started my medication, have a cold and my flare started about a week before the cold so I'm not sure what is happening. Think I might call my doctor.
01-02-2017, 08:57 PM   #5
teddytutu2017

It's confusing at the moment because I've just started my medication, have a cold and my flare started about a week before the cold so I'm not sure what is happening. Think I might call my doctor.
Always best to call your doctor.

Sometimes medication can trigger cold or flu like symptoms, as a side effect of the medication.

Sometimes you are just unlucky and these things all happen at the same time.

I was getting a lot of colds. Until it was discovered that medications had interfered with my absorption of iron and zinc, and I was seriously deficient in both. Before that, I had just blamed a low immune system due to UC. I supplemented and stopped getting colds.