• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade and Weight

Hi everyone, I'm Laura and I'm 18 years old.
I've posted about this topic before but didn't get any answers, so I wanted to ask again. I'm currently now on 10 mg/kg of Remicade every 4 weeks (2 doses so far) and have increased from 5 to 7.5 to 10 mg/kg in the past year. I'm nervous because I keep gaining weight. I feel like it just keeps increasing. I've been recently starting to work out again because in high school, I was on the cross country and track team. I never used to worry about my weight because I'd be working out almost every day. Now, during the summer, I continue to gain weight. I'm getting nervous. I was wondering if anyone has been through this weight gain with Remicade, especially since my dosage and frequency has increased. Thanks.

My son has gained a lot since starting Remicade in April 2015, but he really needed to. He's about perfect now, so hopefully he won't gain too much more.

With CD when you have inflammation it can hamper nutrient absorption. When a med, remicade or otherwise, is effective at controlling that inflammation your body can once again absorb nutrients effectively.

If you happen to be underweight due to active disease then the med working allows for weight gain.

There are a number of kids here who were very under weight until remicade started working for them. Many have stunted growth due to CD robbing them of the ability to absorb nutrients so their vertical height as well as weight gain plays catch up.

If you feel that the weight gain is disproportionate to what you feel is normal then you might check with your GI to see if other patients experienced disproportionate weight gain.

I've read of members that have gained 20-30 lbs over the course of reaching remission. Of course, many of these members were under weight due to their active disease.

my little penguin

Staff member
Your body may abd needed to catch up to normal
Which once a it healed from remicade it would do
Then it will slow down
Ds gained 20 plus lbs over three months after remicade kicked in
And eventually slowed down to a normal rate of weight gain

Also remember due to crohns most kids are still growing in height and weight well into their twenties vs their peers as the body catches up from be sick before

Please talk to your pcp/Gi
A bone age scan of your hand would let you know if your not growing anymore and your docs can help you determine if the weight gain is normal for your age etc....

Remicade itself does not cause weight gain
A healed gut just absorbs nutrients and calories easier

Hi everyone, I'm Laura and I'm 18 years old.
I've posted about this topic before but didn't get any answers, so I wanted to ask again. I'm currently now on 10 mg/kg of Remicade every 4 weeks (2 doses so far) and have increased from 5 to 7.5 to 10 mg/kg in the past year. I'm nervous because I keep gaining weight. I feel like it just keeps increasing. I've been recently starting to work out again because in high school, I was on the cross country and track team. I never used to worry about my weight because I'd be working out almost every day. Now, during the summer, I continue to gain weight. I'm getting nervous. I was wondering if anyone has been through this weight gain with Remicade, especially since my dosage and frequency has increased. Thanks.
I have been on Remicade every 4 weeks for 8 & 1/2 years, I did gain weight with it until I had them discontinue giving me steroids before the Remicade was infused.