Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Question about Constipation/Impaction

10-27-2016, 06:30 PM   #1
SciFiGuy

My Support Groups:
Question about Constipation/Impaction

Hey, guys - long time no chat - been feeling pretty good mostly, up until a few weeks ago - I was supposed to get my last Remicade infusion then, but was still in the process of getting the Remicade re-authorized through the insurance - fortunately, that finally occurred last week and I was able to get another infusion that same Friday. However, I've had three obstructed bowel movements (large, rocky, bloody, took hours, etc) in that amount of time, and thereafter I thought it'd get better - I've been hydrating like crazy, more than ever (I'm usually a sand dune when it comes to this sort of thing), but I haven't had a bowel movement in six days. Just wondering, since I haven't had any negative side effects that usually go with this - no abdominal pains of any variety, no puking - I've felt fine (some very, very mild nausea for a few seconds this morning, but that's the only bit, entirely these past 6 days). Should I go to the hospital? Should I try magnesium citrate? Should I try buttered prunes? (Also note, I take Miralax & Azithioprine once a day). Anyone else been here?

Last edited by SciFiGuy; 10-27-2016 at 07:01 PM.
10-27-2016, 09:45 PM   #2
SciFiGuy

My Support Groups:
Update: I'm going to contact my doctor's office tomorrow and see what they say. Once they reply (could be days, but I sure hope not!), I'll post a summary of their recommendation here for the sake of anyone searching.

Update #2: Definitely feeling a sharp abdominal pain while eating, but it goes away pretty quickly.

Last edited by SciFiGuy; 10-27-2016 at 11:15 PM.
10-28-2016, 12:24 AM   #3
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I hope you feel better soon.
10-28-2016, 02:03 AM   #4
SciFiGuy

My Support Groups:
Update 3: Hell came and went, but the 6-day streak is over. Sitting on ice, as that has proven itself time and again the best remedy for this kind of pain. Still partially blocked. I will still ask the nurse practitioner or doctor for the best course of action in impactions and share the advice here.
11-04-2016, 04:19 AM   #5
SciFiGuy

My Support Groups:
Final Update: Went to the doc's office, and chatted with the nurse practitioner about the experience. She told me:
1.) Drink plenty of fluids
2.) You can take magnesium citrate, but she preferred Miralax (or whatever generic brand of it). However, in my case I was already taking Miralax, so she recommended Linzess, which apparently does something similar, but apparently has a better long-term effect on the gut microbes - I haven't yet tried this, so I can't yet vouch for or against it.
3.) She also recommended that I take VSL3, a probiotic pill - I haven't started this yet, either, so same rules apply.
4.) She mentioned that I should keep a food diary to document what might've initially caused the problem.
5.) She also mentioned how she just read some studies (and came from some kind of conference?) regarding a link between grains & sugars and gut issues, so she said if things get bad or worse, I should try limiting these foods. In brief, she talked about the "FODMAP" diet, which involves limiting intake of all sugars and sugar alcohols.

Finally, on the reddit sub, r/CrohnsDisease (I cross-posted there for additional visibility because I was freaking out - FYI my reddit id is not the same as my crohnsforum id), a fellow redditor gave me the following advice that helped them:
Stop eating Solid food immediately. Soups and broths only. Drink up to 3 Citrate bottles until it's all water coming out. If still no mass passing of stool use a Bisacodyl Suppository.
I hope this eventually helps someone else searching online for answers! Bottom line is if you're in a lot of pain and it's already been 6-7 days, you should think about going to the hospital.
11-04-2016, 09:37 AM   #6
scottsma

My Support Groups:
Since diagnosis over 10yrs ago,I've gone from Proctitis with urgency to Crohns colitis with same + occasional Constipation. I could not allow C.to continue for more than 48hrs.I have bloat,back ache and head ache the very first day.I was really ill recently with a blockage that wouldn't shift.Plenty water,prunes,laxatives ,fibragel and stool softeners.When it did eventually move,the pain was bad,but boy,what a relief !!!
I now take 3 stool softeners daily with plenty water, and it's working a treat,so far.
If I had to choose between urgency or constipation,I'd choose urgency,even though it can be difficult to have a social life sometimes.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Question about Constipation/Impaction