Share Facebook

11-10-2016, 05:19 AM   #1
J_Matrix

Negative Surgeon?

Hi,

I am suffering from a stricture, located at the join created when I had my original surgery for crohn's back in the day.

I have had several colonoscopy dilations, without success and now my only option is surgery. The stricture is only 1 inch long and it between my large and small bowel.

I saw the surgeon yesterday who has been allocated to me and he seemed to spend more time telling me what could go wrong and the possible terrible outcomes that I may suffer, that it has put the fear of god into me.

I realize that you have to be told the risks, but honestly I really felt he wanted me to say, 'I think I will leave it, thanks'

Is this something that others have experienced?
11-10-2016, 07:45 PM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
J am sorry. I would suggest maybe looking for another surgeon.
11-11-2016, 04:35 PM   #3
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
I would also suggest another surgeon - my experience was the opposite, it was the GI who was "doom and gloom" and it was my surgeon who was very positive and confident. He made me feel like I was in safe and caring hands.

History:
2nd Generation affected

Symptoms since 08/2006 (age 17)

Emergency open bowel resection after perforation in 12/2011 (age 22) (wrongly diagnosed as burst appendix ). Three years remission following this unmonitored

Diagnosis:
Perforating small bowel Crohn's Disease 01/2016 (terminal ileum, duodenum)
Coeliac disease (age 26)

Meds:
50mg azathioprine (down from 75mg after my WBC dropped)
Gluten-free diet